1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ryder Cup running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ilmago, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Live coverage of Saturday play on ESPN at 3 a.m. ET and on NBC at 8 a.m. ET. Don't know if NBC's also live in the west, but the original play was NBC only and all on delay.

2. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I have to decide whether to just gut it out and not sleep tonight after deadline or to try to sleep and catch up with the DVR.

I'm such a golf nerd.

3. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Guess I'm not getting those rainsuits after hearing how much they sucked.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'd watch a lot more golf if it was played in epic downpours and with raucous, soccer-like, crowds. Tournaments in perfect weather with country clubbers expressing themselves with polite golf claps are boring.

5. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

And there's always the distinct possibility in the heat of a Sunday European charge that the crowd starts heckling Tiger Woods, which raises the Q Score of a golf event about 90 percent.

6. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Then you should make the Ryder Cup appointment viewing, Inks.

It gets no better in golf than this for rabid jingoism, pressure, nerves and epic meltdowns. Captain Corey said he's never felt as much pressure in ANYTHING in golf than he felt
    during his three tours of Ryder Cup duty (1991, 93, 95). And this is a guy who won the U.S. Open.

Future captain Davis Love III is quoted in John Feinstein's memorable "A Good Walk Spoiled" as wondering what the hubbub was all about during his rookie Ryder Cup campaign in '93. Veterans such as Ray Floyd and Tom Watson -- that year's captain -- soon clued him in.

As numerous players have said, there is tournament pressure, there is major championship pressure... and there is Ryder Cup pressure.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

These guys have never been on teams in their lives (College golf teams don't count). So it's a new and somewhat frightening experience to be on a NATIONAL team right out of the box. They are not used to having other players depend on them, or having to depend on other players.
    Psychologically, it's the most interesting golf event of all.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I'm glad they halted play. I really like this event and it would be ashame to see it turned into a slop-fest because the course wasn't playable.

Wait a day. Wait a week if you need to. This is a big enough event.

As for the format change, I actually like it and wish they would do it all the time. Forces every player to play and also gets 6 matches on course at the same time, so more action and less dead spots in the broadcast.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Overton is really getting it done. And how about that Stricker hole-out?

10. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Not sure why the referee wasn't there watching Ricky Fowler screw up his drop and get a loss-of-hole penalty. That's why he's there.

11. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

That's why I love the Ryder Cup.

It's also the reason, expectation wise, Tiger has been a Ryder Cup non entity. It isn't about HIM.

I live Pavin, but he and his wife should be strung up for the unis they've designed. Lavender sweaters. Are you freakin kidding me? Don't show up to anywhere short of a San Francisco piano bar wearing a lavender sweater, let alone representing the country on foreign soil.

12. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Why has Mickelson turned into poor Ryder Cup player?

Draft saved Draft deleted