1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ryder Cup Captain's Picks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I would probably agree, HOWEVER...

This idea that the captain's picks aren't true captain's picks and are something closer to "You have to pick a guy who is close in points and also kind of riding a heater of late" has always struck me as a bad way to build a team. This is why I don't care if Mickelson gets picked. Mickelson is a good guy in terms of building a team, whether he's posted good results in team stroke play (a totally different animal) of late or not. If Furyk (and by Furyk I mean Tiger, the real captain) really thinks Bryson is a good fit for this team, then by all means pick him. Everything I've heard privately is Tiger wants Bryson on the team. Finau and Xander and Kisner and whomever are not MORE DESERVING because... none of them are deserving. They didn't make the team. The rest of the picks should be at the discretion of the captain. Picking Kuchar or Kisner is essentially picking Ryan Moore or Bill Haas again. None of those guys is a future star. Bryson might be. Let's pick guys who might also help the team win in 2020 in Wisconsin.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It's definitely a bad way to build a team, which is part of the reason why the U.S. got its ass kicked for so many years. The easy way out is to take the guys who just miss the automatic spots and follow the way the winds are blowing at the moment.

Heck, Billy Horschel and Scott Piercy won the Zurich Classic. The TEAM EVENT. Take them.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

You could......but then you realize Horschel is a headcase.

Draft saved Draft deleted