1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ryder Cup Captain's Picks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Agreed. The only thing that'll hold ratings down is that the matches will begin at like 3 a.m. Eastern time each day.

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

DeChambeau with a chance to grab an automatic spot, bogeys his last hole in Round 2 at the PGA and MCs.
    Mickelson with a chance to grab an automatic spot, misses the cut by 4.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Furyk had a press conference this morning in St. Louis and kept playing coy on whether he'll take Woods. JFC, Jim, do you think you're fooling anyone?

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

How's the conversation going to go when Furyk meets with his vice-captains and asks "what are your thoughts on the next 4?" and Tiger says "I like the guy who just posted a 2nd and 5th at the last two majors?"

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

If Furyk gave me the four picks, I'd go with Woods, Kisner, Finau and flip a coin on the last choice between Schauffele and DeChambeau.

Taking Woods out of the discussion since everyone knows he's a pick, this year there were seven events in which the players on the points list ranked 9th to 15th all played. Neither Mickelson nor Kuchar had even one finish in which they beat the other five. Finau had top-10s at the Masters, U.S. Open, British Open and Bridgestone; that's good enough for me.

Do I think Furyk is going to pick Phil? Yes I do.

6. Michael_ Gee

You make a good case for Finau. Truth is, neither Schauffle nor DeChambeau has flashed a hot hand lately. In March, Mickelson would've been a lock. If he doesn't get hot in the playoffs, I'll bet he and Woods switch roles and Phil will be a vice captain while Tiger plays.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Schauffle almost won the Open at Carnoustie.

8. Michael_ Gee

Three over on Sunday. As was Kisner, who's obviously super talented but appears to have a Sunday problem in big events, not what one wants in a Ryder Cup.

9. Why not? With Kisner the US can win it all by Saturday? ;)

He can play. I love the guy, but he can NOT close it out.

He's been at or near thew top of final round, major leaderboards a lot lately. He's got game.
    He reminds me a lot of Fowler. Only better.

Not a huge Finau fan... He's not as solid as Kisner or even Schauffle.

10. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I'll obviously watch a lot of FedEx Cup "playoffs." Great fields, I love golf.

But the Ryder Cup can't get here soon enough.

Woods officially adding BMW to his events. If he makes the final leg of FedEx and plays the Ryder Cup (he will), that'll make seven tournaments in nine weeks. Good stuff.

And TV execs might be sorta pleased.

Tiger Woods Adds BMW Championship to Playoff Schedule | Golf Channel

11. Michael_ Gee

Watching the Golf Channel rerun of the 2010 Ryder Cup. Amazing thing is even though it's eight years ago, there are so many familiar names. Woods, Mickelson, DJ,Fowler Furyk, McIlroy, Molinari (both of them were on the tesm, Kaymer. Two exceptions. For the Euros Peter Hansen. For the US, Jeff Overton. I am sure both were fine golfers and I don't want to make hondo mad, but for the life of me I can't remember either one. At all.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's going to be interesting to see if Furyk lets Brooks and DJ play together, or split them up and hope they carry whoever their with to a win. And who do you pair with Reed and/or Bubba. Stick them together?

Draft saved Draft deleted