1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ryan Schultz ... the Catfishing Sports Writer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Doc Holliday, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

2. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

3. Doc Holliday

Ho ho ho. Merry Thanksgiving.

4. Carlkolchak

Carlkolchak Member

Are the book and film rights available for sale?!?

Doc Holliday likes this.
  5. John Perrotto

John Perrotto New Member

My of my, how downhill Baseball Prospects has gone. Stuff like this gives ammo to those who love to shout "Fake News." A real embarrassment.

Doc Holliday and studthug12 like this.
  6. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

I'd argue that sites like SBNation, Rivals, and Bleacher Report are more responsible for the rise of media distrust than people want to believe. Rivals pretends to be legit but almost all of the individual site coverage has a positive slant toward the university that's being covered. Coach gets fired? Here's a quick post that's quickly buried by a "hot board" that has all kinds of intriguing names over who could turn this thing around? Top player arrested? Don't put it on the front page, but put a post on the exclusive message board with an unsexy headline.

At least with Rivals you know who is writing the actual story and a smart consumer can make a judgement from there. Not always the case with SBNation and Bleacher Report. Are they writing under a pseudonym? Are they getting paid? What are their credentials?

And what happens is since anybody can write for those sites and those sites are so wide read, the readers of those sites believe that anyone can be a journalist. They don't understand the system in place to report actual news. So while right wing screechers were the genesis of the "liberal media" and "fake news", some of the biggest sites in sports journalism haven't exactly instilled a lot of confidence in the profession either.

Doc Holliday, Dick Whitman and Alma like this.
  7. Carlkolchak

Carlkolchak Member

It's quite obvious by now the media is controlled. In politics, sports, whatever. It's about controlling the narratives, spinning to fit an agenda. The truth? Fu** the truth. The public can't know the truth. If the public found out the truth, there would be a revolution in a minute. There are very very few true investigative journalists these days. Too many ugly truths that are forbidden to be reported. Trump has exposed CNN as fake news media manipulation artists - completely. We live in a world of truth vs propaganda.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  8. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

sgreenwell likes this.
  9. Doc Holliday

That's not true.

Twenty five years ago when I started at my shop, we had two editors for every local story we published. And when it was a larger piece with greater impact and detail, we put three or four editors on those stories. Mind you, those were seasoned, veteran copy editors with fantastic skills at catching even the smallest error or problem.

In today's shitty media age, we have one copy editor and sometimes nobody at all to read the local copy. And the local copy editor is the worst editor I've ever seen and usually inserts errors into the story more often than he finds and removes them.

That's what happens when you lay all your well-educated, experienced people off and replace them with a dumbass with no training or education and experience at a weekly rag.

There was actually a day and age when it matted and newspapers cared.

Tweener likes this.
  10. DSzymborski

DSzymborski Member

I only have a few brief exchanges with Schultz. Certainly not enough to suspect anything; nothing seemed off as far as I could tell (just social media, so no voice).

11. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Is she hot?

12. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

Manti Te'o: Smokin' hot

Draft saved Draft deleted