1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ryan rips one-sentence paragraphs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by henryhenry, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

If that's the case, I'd love to see a 1-on-1 conversation between Ryan and Vitale.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Whitlock - I have a short attention span so I prefer one sentence paragraphs.

Besides you have become more than just a columnist. You have become a multi media star in vein of Rachel Ray.

Next thing you know we'll be seeing you in one of your nicely taylored suits on a box of Wheat Thins.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Did you ever consider that maybe it's you?

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

Now that's funny.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Both are Jersey guys and that is a problem a lot of us in Jersey have. ;D

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

just another vote for ryan being a good guy, a journalist's journalist, etc.

but back on topic: i'm also not a one-sentence graph fan, except as a way to make a point. one and done.

that said, the happy medium today should generally be: no graphs longer than two sentences. sadly, fat graphs in today's culture get too much info lost in them.

same with quotes. the shorter the quote, the more effective. too many writers are just transcribers. it doesn't take that long to whittle a quote down to it's core.

end of mini-rant.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING, MY SISTERS AND BROTHERS! :D :D

7. I have.
    Tintinnitus anyone?

8. Franklin

Franklin Member

nothing is always good or always bad. sometimes one-sentence grafs work, sometimes they don't. montville does it a lot and it's usually great. plaschke does it all the time and it's crap. so it's bob ryan's pet peeve? who gives a shit?

9. I'm not sure where this thing got threadjacked into all things Bob Ryan (good guy, BTW, met him at the '97 US Open when I was but a young pup and he was nothing but nice).
    I understand how long sentences look weird on the web page, but I'm so damn tired of us underestimating the intelligence of the reader. I remember a long time ago during a job interview talking about how I tried to write the story in a fashion that my mother would understand.
    10 years later, fuck that. I'm sorry, but I'm not going to cower at the feet of the reader because they have trouble with words that take up more than two syllables.
    I think the reader - most of them anyway, the ones who read columns and pieces like Dave Hyde's Jake Scott profile - want to be challenged.
    I'm sorry, if I wanted to write for a bunch of fucking middle schoolers, I'd have taught 8th grade English.

10. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

long grafs equal intelligent readers? huh? you lost me.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Oh, I don't think he was saying that. He was just reserving the right to use "photosynthesis" in a field hockey gamer. ;)

12. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

Yeah, I'm sure he could gather I'm an asshole when he's staring out onto the court, obviously just killing time, and by me saying "Hi, Bob. Sorry to bother you, but my name is Joe Picapole from the Town Times and we have a mutual friend in Jerry Legend (whom I know Ryan reveres). He was my mentor when I was in college and I've lost touch with him because of how much he travels. So how has his health been? You wouldn't happen to have a number where I can give him a ring to say hello, would you? Oh, I'm sorry. But that wasn't me who took a shit on your loafers."

Draft saved Draft deleted