1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ryan rips one-sentence paragraphs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by henryhenry, Nov 22, 2006.

1. XXXX

XXXX Member

i think ryan was trying to get back at bill simmons after simmons ripped him in his doc rivers column.

2. Ira_Schoffel

Ira_Schoffel Member

To me, it's not about dumbing down. With the smaller Web width most of us are dealing with, long paragraphs are harder to look at ... and thus harder to read. We shouldn't be going after "See Spot run." But I just think it's hard to read a four-sentence paragraph on a page with ridiculously thin columns.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

In all my years in this business-- longer than many of you have been alive -- I have NEVER met anyone who is a greater, more passionate fan of sports than Bob Ryan... and I first met him 34 years ago.

As shottie said, it ain't bragging if it's true. The guy loves sports, loves his job and loves this crazy business... and, yeah, he loves himself and loves to hear himself talk, too.
    So what! A lot of people with a lot less credibility and talent than Bob Ryan are a lot more egotistical than he is.

4. KP

KP Active Member

And let me vouch for Santarpio's. Great pizza.

The Ryan fellow is a gentleman and a pretty good hack as well.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Bob Ryan is a good man.
    Two years ago, he and were in a press conference with Bill Belichick. I asked a question and Belichick turned it into a joke. In the middle of a crowded press room, Ryan leaned over and whispered, "Don't feel bad. It was a good question. It's his new thing; if he thinks he knows where a question or series of questions are going, he'll turn it into a joke."

He did not have to do that. Certainly, he was busy.

For that alone, I hold him in high regard. Hopefully, one day, I pass along that act of kindness to a young writer.

6. KP

KP Active Member

He's truly a great guy, I first met him back in '01 when he was out in Pittsfield (MA) where they debating whether to build a new minor league baseball stadium. He wanted to listen to everyone's stories, whether they had been there for two months (me) or decades when the city had a AA team (I can only imagine April baseball at that place). And if you tossed any question at him, he was going to tell you exactly what he thought.

Last Thanksgiving stringing for one of the suburban papers, I get to the press box it's a bunch of coffee and donuts in the end seat, Bob Ryan in the next and others down the row. So I end up clearing enough space to work and he introduces himself the same way as if he were Tom Schome from Podunk. "Bob Ryan, Boston Globe" with an outstretched hand. We spent the entire pregame bs'ing about the game and Boston sports. Game ends, typical Thanksgiving ending with everyone on the field we all do what we need to do. Walking out with another reporter, guy in his car stops, rolls down his window and wishes me and the other reporter by name a Happy T-day. Class individual.

7. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

Gotta respect his love for the games. He's right about the fact that most of the people covering sports hate sports. He still has the bug, which is nice to see, and great for him.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Got all the love in the world for Bob Ryan. He took time out of his day for me when I met him before the '02 Final Four, when I was a young cub (even more than I am now ::)) trying to soak it all in, and I'll be forever grateful.

9. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

I met Ryan once on press row and approached him about a mutual friend, asked him for a phone number of said friend. He treated me as though I was a subordinate of the least degree.

10. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

ryan has been known to feed and shelter homeless sportswriters - plucks them right off the street

11. happygirl

happygirl Member

I, too, have known Bob for many, many years. He's a great guy...very passionate about what he does...very friendly to most anybody who approaches...photographic memory which leaves me in awe. He is, in fact, the last of the great Globe columnists (Ray Firtzgerald, Leigh Montville). His only fault: he's so freaking passionate and excitable that he doesn't know how to shut up in a quiet press room.

12. Boom, between you and Mizzougrad, I don't know who shows me more disrespect. You guys have a love affair with these west coast writers. Do you not realize that Whitlock and JoPo trump Simers and Plaschke every day of the week and twice on Sundays?

Draft saved Draft deleted