1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ryan rips one-sentence paragraphs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by henryhenry, Nov 22, 2006.

1. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

ryan's pet peeve. personally, i use them - for dramatic accent - and punch lines

http://www.sportsmediaguide.com/11212006-BobRyan-Pt1.asp

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

My pet peeve of Bob Ryan:

"I am very much a fan. That's my DNA – it's why I have an advantage over most other people. I can convey that to my readers...that is simply not the case with the vast majority of my colleagues. How can they function – I don't get it."

I don't get it. His homer/fan columns are boring and appeal to the lowest common denominator.
    (He must really hate Bill Plaschke. He can have a 20-graph column containing 30 sentences.)

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I really respect Bob, but he's out of touch with what readers have told us. They don't want two-inch-long paragraphs and complex, run-on sentences.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I agree.

One-sentence paragraphs suck.

Totally.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

There's only one Ryan on this board and it ain't Bob....

understand?

6. Readers are idiots. No wonder we lag behind like 200 countries when it comes to literacy and education.

7. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

After reading that, seems like Bob really thinks Bob is good.
    And it seems Bob doesn't think anyone else is nearly as good. :)

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Ahh ... but they are what they are. It's not your job to rebel against their reading level and write over their heads.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't know Ryan well, but from what I've seen, he seems much more down to earth than most of the big time columnists...

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

No, but it is very possible to write intelligently without "dumbing it down" ... too many writers don't mind the latter when instead they could (and should) be striving for the former ...

11. JackS

JackS Member

The one thing that surprised me about that interview is that Ryan is only 60. Not that I think he looks a whole lot older, but he's been looking 60 for the past 15 years.

12. One sentence paragraphs work as a device, used sparingly, for emphasis.
    A whole column?
    Ick.
    Also, that's an interesting site. Click over onto our man Kindred's thread. No love there for Simmons, but great love for the craft.

Draft saved Draft deleted