1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ryan or Mcfadden ?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Apr 22, 2008.

?

Who would your draft ?

1. Matt Ryan

24.1%
  2. Darren Mcfadden

75.9%
  1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I loved how Rozelle knew the boos were coming and smiled at some of those picks.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Easy now, HB. No disputing the greatness of either player you mentioned, but would they have been as great with the relatively unstable situation with Gang Green, as opposed to Don Shula's eternal reign in Miami or the Bill Walsh-handoff-to-George Seifert time upon the throne in San Francisco?

I'm not saying Marino and Rice wouldn't have been good, not in a million years. But I do question if they would have been as good given the merry-go-round procession of coaches with the Jets vs. the stability in other areas.

3. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I can see both sides of the argument. You can always pickup a quality RB in the 2nd or 3rd rounds but if you make a mistake with your QB, you set your franchise back 5 years. But in this case, I thinik gettign Ryan and letting him sit a year being mentored would be a good thing.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Based on what I've seen over the last two years, I would not make Ryan my first pick if I were the Jets. It's not that he's not a first-rounder, but there's a difference between having NO quarterback (Ravens, Falcons) and having unsatisfactory quarterbacks as the Jets do. Then you only pick a QB with the sixth pick if you think he's a potential Hall of Famer.
    Of course, based on his work at BC, nobody would've thought Matt Hasselbeck would've played a down in the NFL.

5. The arm of a Jeff George with the brain of a Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Matt Ryan would be my pick

6. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

With all due respect, lots of people knew about Matt Ryan.

As a junior he passed for 2900+ yards with a completion rating of 61.6% His TD/INT numbers were just 15/10 but his passer rating was good (126.38) and he played most of the season with a broken foot.

His numbers as a senior: 4,507 passing yards, 59.3%, 31/19 Td/INT.

The senior numbers of a recent first-round pick, who has enjoyed some success in the NFL: 3600 yards, 62.4%, 29/10...

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

McFadden is every bit as talented as Peterson was a year ago... The knock on him is his crack whore mother and his own inability to stay out of trouble...

McFadden will be a star. I'm definitely not sold on Ryan...

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Not to mention a better tear jerker pre game story for Pam Oliver or Andrea Kramer.

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Michael Smith reported that the Raiders are going to take McFadden. If that is the case, the Jets should probably pass on Ryan for Gholsten. The Jets could use another pass rusher and there will be QBs (Henne? Flacco? Brennan?) and RBs (Ray Rice?) in the subsequent rounds.

EDIT: The more I think about it, the Jets do have options.

1) Trade up to three and take McFadden.
    2) Stay at six and hope Dorsey falls to them. Like Gholsten, Dorsey's a pass rusher. He also fills the void left when Suck Robertson was dispatched to Denver.

Draft saved Draft deleted