1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ryan or Mcfadden ?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Apr 22, 2008.

?

Who would your draft ?

1. Matt Ryan

24.1%
  2. Darren Mcfadden

75.9%
  1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Croyle and Redman were both third-round picks.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Will Redman start over Harrington?

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Wouldn't ANYONE?

4. pallister

pallister Guest

Just wondering for the purposes of your count, given that Harrington went No. 3 overall.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Apparently, not Byron Leftiwch. But probably anyone else, of course.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Even if he did, the figure would still be 15 first-rounders at QB.

FIRST-ROUNDERS STARTING
    Steelers
    Bengals
    Ravens (assumed Kyle Boller is the nominal no. 1, though didn't Troy Smith start the last game or two?)
    Colts
    Titans
    Chargers
    Broncos
    Raiders
    Giants
    Redskins
    Eagles
    Packers
    Bears
    Cardinals (assume Leinart is the no. 1 if healthy...and not fucking 17-year-olds)
    49ers

7. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

8. pallister

pallister Guest

Let's see: Just 3 have won Super Bowls (Roethlisberger, Manning and Manning), and only two others have been to a Super Bowl (McNabb and Grossman). OK, which one of these is not like the others? Five total SB appearances combined. That shows just how much of a crapshoot taking a QB in the first round is.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Actually if Harrington starts, it would be 16 of 32 teams w/a first-rounder at QB.

Still, though, Pallister's point remains quite valid. I'd very rarely draft a QB in the first round. It's like starting pitching: Very unreliable and almost impossible to get a return on a huge investment.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

No - Steve Serby's close friend Richard Todd was taken first in 1976. For nostalgia and kicks here is the story to Todd /Serby locker room fight.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=980DEEDA1F39F934A25752C1A967948260

Do we have any witnesses from SJ membership?

11. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I just don't get any vibes that Ryan is worth a first round pick. This year, I sense he's kind of filling a slot of the proverbial first-round QB because every draft seems to have at least one. All the top prospects at the position are OK, just not first-round material. Drew Brees was selected at the top of the second round, and I think that's just about where the best of this year's crop belongs.

As for McFadden, I agree with him going to the Raiders.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It seems like Ryan acts like an NFL QB but does not play like one. I keep reading about his manners and how he showed up in a suit for the combine.

The games I watched I don't think he made good reads under pressure.

Draft saved Draft deleted