1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ryan or Mcfadden ?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Apr 22, 2008.

?

Who would your draft ?

1. Matt Ryan

24.1%
  2. Darren Mcfadden

75.9%
  1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It's starting to look like Ryan and Mcfadden could both be available for the Jets at # 6. Who do you take. I think any team would be crazy to take Ryan over Mcfadden. I'm not seeing what many are saying about Ryan. In fact I think Henne had big upside.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/peter_king/04/20/mmqb/1.html

This pretty much says it all.

Mcfadden.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Well, obviously it depends on many factors. But I would always take the QB over the RB, things held even close to equal.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I agree with Banks. I think Ryan is a sucker pick.

5. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I've only been following the NFL Draft real closely since I've actually had to for work - which is about six years now - and I've noticed that the real good quarterbacks who are worth a top 10 pick had more than one good college season.

I don't know Ryan's stats as a senior, though I do know he threw a boatload of interceptions, and I certainly don't know his stats as a junior. But what I do know is that before the team was ranked No. 2 in the nation early in the season, I had never heard of Matt Ryan. I had heard of Carson Palmer, Matt Leinart, Vince Young, Eli Manning for at least two seasons in college.

Not saying all of them are elite quarterbacks, but I think Ryan is where he is because there's no other good alternative. That being said, McFadden is by far a better choice.

6. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Oh, and a quick offshoot: all the quarterbacks I named were at least Heisman finalists. Matt Ryan was not.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I agree with Boom. I think predicting NFL quarterbacks success is a crap shoot. McFadden will be a very good back. But the problem is a great QB is heads above a mediocre QB. A great back is not that much better than a mediocre back. You can get by with a servicable halfback in the NFL. In today's game, you absolutely need a star QB to win -- and there are only 5 or 6 of them in the league.

My bet is that Ryan doesn't have it. I personally like Brian Brohm over him, and I watched Louisville play a lot. I temper that by saying that Brohm does not fit the mold of a successful QB in 2008. He is tailor made for 1993. Brohm might not end up being all-world, but out of all the QBs, I'd be willing to bet he has the most productive career.

That said, if I am drafting, I don't EVER go for one of the high-pick QBs. Because you get an Akili Smith or Ryan Leaf as often as you get a Peyton Manning. And it's amazing how many very good QBs come out of the lower rounds. In this draft, I'd avoid Ryan in the first round, because my bet is he is going to be a middle of the road QB. And I'd avoid Brohm, as much as I like him if he is getting pushed too high. The guy I'd target is Andre Woodson, especially if he slips to the third or fourth round (I don't know if he will, but his stock has dropped). He's a bit of a project but he is more of a 2008 kind of QB. He can do a little of everything -- run, pass -- and I watched a lot of Kentucky this year and he is a winner. You can't quantify that. But he has a knack for making big plays under pressure, particularly when he has been struggling up until he needs to step up. It's the kind of unquantifiable quality, I'd be willing to take a bet on in a lower round, rather than having to give Ryan a huge contract to potentially be Tim Couch.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Then it should be worth mentioning that Jason White, Chris Weinke and Eric Crouch all won Heismans. There's also Josh Heupel, Brad Banks, Ken Dorsey, Joey Harrington, David Carr and Alex Smith ... they all finished in the top five during Heisman votes this decade.

Tom Brady, a sixth-round pick, did not. Heisman buzz doesn't necessarily mean NFL success.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I've seen enough of Matt Ryan to have reason to believe he's going to be a good QB. I've seen enough of Darren McFadden that, unless I already have a solid all-pro type running back, I'm taking McFadden.

10. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I don't believe I was making that argument. I said that in addition to having two stellar years, a good first round-worthy quarterback is also usually a Heisman finalist. You can be a good quarterback selected in the top 10 without a Heisman nod. You can also have one and be nothing - Jason White and Eric Crouch come quickest to my mind. But you cannot be an above-average quarterback at the pro game without a decent amount of sustained hype in college.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Tom Brady, and the coaching staff at Michigan that wouldn't play him, beg to differ.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

As top 10 picks, RBs are just as much of a crapshoot as QBs.

The Ronnie Brown-Carnell Williams-Cedric Benson triumverate is the most recent example.

Draft saved Draft deleted