1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ryan Leaf: wanted once again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mark2010, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Nearly 15 years after being the No. 2 pick in the NFL draft, Ryan Leaf is wanted again.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/47192027/ns/nfl/

OK, in fairness, the whole case is pretty bogus, more bark than bite. Having dealt with the Texas legal system a few times, I gained a little understanding of how this circus works. You get charged with a crime, plead guilty, get placed on probation. Then, just as the probation period is about the expire, some district attorney and judge yanks the rug out from under your feet. And the cycle starts all over again.

If I'm Leaf, I'm not going anywhere near Texas. I'd force Montana to extradite me, which is highly unlikely they would do.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Oxycodone's a helluva drug.

3. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Extradition within the US isn't like between countries. If Texas indicates a willingness to come pick him up and fills out the proper paperwork -- a governor's warrant -- then he'll get extradited back to Texas. The process is almost entirely on Texas to jump through the right hoops in order to get him once he's been picked up in another state and that other state is not going to resist the extradition request.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Are you really comparing Leaf to some ex-con who is trying his hardest to stay out of trouble? Leaf's problems are a bit bigger than taking a drink or even bouncing a small check.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Has there been a state that refused extradition since the Scottsboro Boys?

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Utah refused an extradition request in a custody case several years agp.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Indiana wants me, but I can't go back there.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Five years in prison:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/19387285/ryan-leaf-sentenced-to-five-years-on-felony-drug-burglary-charges

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He looks stable.

I've asked this before, but who was the writer who Leaf famously went ballistic on?

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Most of the sentence will be community release, so lock up your painkillers if you happen to live near his halfway house.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Thank you... :D

12. I don't know why but that pictures makes me chuckle.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted