1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ryan Howard wins $10 million

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by melock, Feb 21, 2008.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Re: Ryan Horward wins $10 million

Sure. Same with renewing him every year. It's fine as long as they have no intention whatsoever of re-signing him.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Cockdian's favorite basbeall plaryer

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Of course, It sounded like he was assuming he was gone anyway, which if he think that his market comparison is Arod, I'd bet he will be.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Horward deserves every penny he gets. Howard, too. They're both great players with their futures ahead of them. I hope the Phillies can keep them in that infield along with Utley for a long while. What an around-the-horn that would be, huh? Move over, Tinkers, Evers and Chance to make room for Horward, Utley and Howard.

5. melock

melock Well-Known Member

I've read the same things from numerous reporters in Philadelphia. As dumb as the Phillies are they'd be stupid not to at least consider signing him long term to a contract that overpays him. He puts people in the seats and is one of the most dangerous hitters in baseball. Maybe they'll rethink it if he wins another MVP. He put those numbers last year despite missing several weeks with a leg injury.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Your future is ahead of you, too. So is mine.

7. phils will sign him long term for the simple reason that he (in part with utley) help sell out most home games and probably a good amount on the road. These guys actually have people from philly really excited about baseball again and that is saying something considering the history this club has....

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

We've all got hope. Now if only my $10 million check will get here.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Well, I was wrong.
    My future is BEHIND me (along with about 30 extra pounds).

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Wishful thinking, fanboi. The Phillies aren't about to pay market value for him and he's not taking anything less. The Phillies invariably go out of their way to piss off their best players. Dallas Green does staff seminars every spring.

11. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Howard was ready for the bigs after his 2002-03 season (?) at Clearwater. I know that's a bold statement, but he was freakishly good and destroying the pitchers. He hit .304 with 23 home runs and 82 RBIs and then the next year in Reading, he hit even better, hitting .297/37/102 in 102 games. He was quickly moved up from AA to AAA and then to the MLB in the same season, but he was already older than he should be entering the bigs at 26-years-old in his first full season.

He wasn't going to improve his defense in the minors, so why not bring him up to the big leagues? He's a tremendous power hitter with a mediocre glove at first. Philadelphia knew from the beginning what they were going to get out of Howard.

The Phillies should have saved the $90 million they spent on Jim Thome and moved Ryan Howard up to the big stage in 2003. The kid could hit and he showed Philadelphia how wrong they were for keeping him in the minors with his rookie and sophomore year.

If they wanted to keep Thome around for at least one year, then they should have dealt him when his value was higher. I would imagine they could have got a lot more than Rowand and prospects for the slugger after the 2003 season when he hit 47 homers and drove in 131.

Imagine how we would be talking about Howard if he had two more years under his belt, putting up the same numbers. Then again, we could be talking about how he busted in the same breath.

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

But then they'd now have Thome instead of Howard. Howard is better - ultimately, they kept the right guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted