1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ryan Freel injury

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by write then drink, May 28, 2007.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Ummm ... Freel isn't naturally superior to most of his peers in several ways, but he's got more God-given speed than nearly all of them. Sure, he has heart ... but he also has outstanding speed. Just because you're skinny doesn't mean you're born fast.

2. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Farney hit him. Dammit, Farney!

3. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

If we could import a quarter of Freel's heart into Adam Done, the Reds might have an actual decent lineup.

4. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

gritty, gutty white guy

freel's got great talent

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I agree. Being fast and fearless are Freel's strongsuits but he's also an excellent all-around athlete who has the versatility to play infield or outfield and hits well enough to play every day. We forget sometimes that being one of 750 baseball players on an MLB roster is a huge feat in itself.

6. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

He actually landed with the ball in glove, so I think that's what led to the out call.

One other thought on this: No one doubts that Ryan Freel is one of the most popular Reds players, and it's because of his all out hustle. He's the current version of Chris Sabo and a lesser man's Pete Rose.

But one thing that kind of sticks with me is the fact that Freel has been arrested twice in recent years for DUI. If he were wearing orange and black, he'd be considered a pariah, but because he plays baseball, he's considered one of Cincy's best. I like Freel, but I find it interesting how his record gets swept under the rug while it gets pushed up for other athletes.

Just something to consider.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Very solid point. I listen to Cincy radio frequently and it was weird the other day to hear a backhanded shot at Freel's DUIs tossed in the middle of the endless laughtrack that is discussion on the Bengals.

8. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Isn't a DUI a DUI no matter who they are?

9. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

He's probably ready to play two now. Dude either has no brains or a big set of brass ones. I'll go with no brains, baseball isn't exactly a Mensa breeding ground, but I love watching him play.

Draft saved Draft deleted