1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ryan Freel injury

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by write then drink, May 28, 2007.

1. terrifying injury in Pirates-Reds game

looks like neck injury

collision with another outfielder catching fly ball

15-minute delay, ambulance came onto field

scary stuff

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Damn, stopped watching the Reds because I figure they've stopped playing (or at least pitching) for the time being.

Freel goes out and plays hard everyday, wherever he's asked to play. He almost broke his shoulder in a Spring Training game.

Hopefully, he'll be back soon.

3. GimpyScribe

GimpyScribe Member

I've clicked over to ESPN (lacrosse) and ESPNews and nothing but advertisements for Roger Clemen's minor-league start later today *yawns* ... I swear, they're the worldwide leader in crap.

4. loveyabye

loveyabye Guest

There's a story on the front page of ESPN.com. It says he was coherent and had feeling in his extremities.

5. GimpyScribe

GimpyScribe Member

Excellent news ... excellent

6. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Here is to Ryan Freel the man with less talent but more heart than 95% of the league. I hope he is well and will be able to play again real soon.

7. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

If even half the league had as much heart & intensity as Freel does game-in and game-out, baseball would be a much better sport for it. Here's hoping that he gets better ASAP.

8. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I've seen collisions a lot worse than that one and was surprised that he was hurt as badly as he was. I think it was the impact with the warning track that caused the trouble.

9. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Didn't he just sign a big extension in the spring? If so, good for him.

10. Quick story from the visiting clubhouse of one of the Reds' late-season stops last year.

Several of them were discussing Griffey being in the process of getting his pilot's license. Apparently Griffey and Freel are good enough friends that they were considering having Griffey fly Freel home to Florida during the offseason. Another player mentioned that Griffey wouldn't have to land the plane. He could just throw a baseball out the window and Freel would jump after it.

After everybody was done cracking up, Freel put on a semi-serious face and said, "Is that what you guys think of me? I'm like a dog who will dive after anything." Everybody said yes. Freel said, "Fine, then I'm not diving today." Then he walked away, stopped and thought out loud, "Who's pitching today? Arroyo? Sorry buddy."

11. markvid

markvid Guest

We have footage of Norris Hopper putting the ball back in Freel's glove.
    Can you wait to see if he's dead first?

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Mike Cameron scoffs at Ryan Freel.

Draft saved Draft deleted