1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ryan Braun's statement just released

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Tell it to Shyam Das.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Seriously, man. You are normally so much smarter than this.

We are in agreement that MLB procedures were not followed. That's what Das ruled on.

It is you who is saying the error was Laurenzi's. You are completely wrong.

YF had some good advice earlier.

3. Bubbler

Who didn't follow MLB procedures?

You can make all of the excuses in the world -- some may even be justifiable -- but at the end of the day Das ruled that procedure wasn't followed, and there was one person in the process responsible for following procedure.

C'mon. Say his name.

4. LongTimeListener

If I knew the name of Dino Laurenzi's boss or the person who instructed him what to do when the nearest FedEx was closed, I would say his name. Or if I knew who drafted the testing agreement with the unclear language, I would say his name. I could follow AQB's lead and just say Bud Selig as a catch-all.

But it wasn't Dino Laurenzi.

Say your sports editor tells you to file at 10 p.m. and you do. And the next morning you get an angry email from the executive editor that the whole edition was late and the company lost $10,000 because you were supposed to file at 9:30. Is that your fault?

My cousin in Milwaukee had told me there were idiots still trying to piece together and defend parts of Braun's behavior. I guess this is what he was talking about.

5. Bubbler

Ha, ha! I knew you couldn't do it!

And I don't know where you read any of this as a defense of Braun's behavior. The only mention I've made about Braun's behavior is that it wasn't defensible.

6. LongTimeListener

I'm really unclear as to what I'm supposed to "do" as far as naming him.

It's something that slipped through the cracks, an oversight. Those kinds of discrepancies happen every day in every company and government office. It doesn't mean they are necessarily anyone's "fault" in the finger-pointing sense.

The real Bubbler would understand this. Please return him.

7. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

Ryan Braun is a Grade A doucher, I'm never going to feel any other way about it, but you're just the other extreme end of what the Braun apologists are doing. Two of the three subjects in that Olney report said they were never, ever contacted by Braun in the reported circumstances. That seems like a pretty giant thing to omit on your part, and pretty much makes the report worthless to me. For every factual report about Braun now, there's another one that's just rumors smearing him. Braun cheated, he lied, he dragged an innocent man through the mud, but this isn't tantamount to Adolf Hitler.

As far as the teammates defending at the time, that's just standard behavior. Would have happened on any team in any sport. You'd like to think people would be smarter than that, but it's no different in any facet of life. Someone comes with allegations about a close friend or family member and you really don't want to believe it. You trust him and he swears his innocence to you, so you believe you're doing the right thing. Braun is one thing; pretending like the organization, the teammates or the Milwaukee fans have done anything wrong here is just so sanctimonious it's laughable.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Someone explain to me why Braun can hold a presser to say that he didn't do it, but then issue a statement released by the Brewers when he admits it?

If he wants to get back in the good graces........come out.......throw your cards on the table......tell the world you screwed up........cry a little.......donate the matched amount of your lost wages to a favorite charity......call it good.

9. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

I agree. He already goofed by releasing a written statement that could have been written by anybody.

Needed to do an open press conference at Miller Park and face the fire.

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Congratulations!
    Godwin's Law!
    Ding-ding-ding!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

11. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

Except that I'm not making a comparison of Braun to Hitler. I'm using it as a hyperbolic contrast. People react to Braun like he's committed grave crimes against humanity.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The "non-comparison" is just as dumb.

Draft saved Draft deleted