1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ryan Braun's statement just released

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, Aug 22, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Bubbler, you really need to get familiar with the case. Laurenzi didn't screw up. He followed MLB procedures, doing what he had always done and what he had always been instructed to do when the delivery site was closed. It was the lack of clarity in the procedures, specifically whether the closest delivery site constitutes "unusual circumstances," that allowed Braun to escape. It wasn't Laurenzi.

Furthermore, he didn't just say "the tester screwed up." He and his team were saying the tester had an agenda against them. They sent an email to that effect to reporters around the country; he is being sued by a man who says he was promised payment for digging up dirt on Laurenzi; and Olney reported this week that his calls to other players focused on the fact that Laurenzi was anti-Semitic.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Only it was Laurenzi. Procedural confusion or not, the appeal was lost with him on the clock.

And if another player had challenged their sample on the same grounds that Braun did, they would likely have won their appeal too. If I'm Laurenzi, I prevent any question by going into CYA mode to find a FedEx branch that was open.

What part of "it does not make Braun's post-appeal statements on Laurenzi defendable at all" was misunderstood?

3. LongTimeListener

He made the calls to other players BEFORE the appeal decision was announced. He thought he was going to lose the appeal, but he won. So that was a pre-appeal statement. And so was the dirt-digging, at least according to his friend's lawsuit. So the misunderstanding is on you, big fella.

There was no procedural confusion as he saw it. When site is closed, take urine home and store it. That's how it was done. The procedure may or may not have been flawed; the scientific opinion is that it wouldn't have changed the nature of the sample. But it was definitely unclear based on the testing agreement.

Braun won by lawyering. In an era where a misplaced comma cost the U.S. government $1 million, it isn't difficult to see how a wording discrepancy can affect a case like this.

Again, though, it was not anything Laurenzi did wrong based on his job description and his orders from MLB. And the mud-slinging against him started well before the post-appeal statements.

Really, if you care that much about the case, the least you can do is know something about it.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Laurenzi is guilty only of following the shitty handling protocols MLB had in place at the time. If you want to blame anybody about how the sample was handled, blame Bud Selig.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Ok folks. Want to tell me again that I'm the one who starts this shit?

That said, I think Braun could have been more specific and comprehensive in his apology regarding Laurenzi and he could have addressed the story about the phone calls.

6. LongTimeListener

oop, I never mentioned you in that post. It would be wrong for you to assume I was referring to you. We don't make assumptions here.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Well, so far we've heard from two of the "phone calls." They said no such phone call occurred. But you're definitely right about the apology to Laurenzi, which I mentioned early on in this.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Glad OOP is here to shit all over another thread.

9. outofplace

Where did I say it was about me? I just suggested that you were out to start shit. But hey, you and A_QB couldn't have possibly contributed to the issues on these threads. Nah. Y'all wouldn't ever do a thing like that.

10. outofplace

They must be lying. Otherwise, a story about Braun doing something bad might not be completely true and that is just impossible. He's the worst lowlife to ever walk the planet Earth. You know that, right?

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I've been told that by people who are assuming things they don't know.

12. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted