1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ryan Braun's statement just released

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, Aug 22, 2013.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

You take all the PED apologies/statements from Lance, Braun, MacGwire, Marion Jones, Arod and the others, and just make a Mad Libs. Save the future apologists some time.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

You'd be happier if he didn't make the statement?

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I think it would be better for everybody if he'd been a fucking man and taken the suspension he earned back in 2011instead of acting like a gutless piece of shit and setting out to destroy a guy just doing his job.

4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Bull...crap!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijWGUKsK9pg

5. old_tony

I'm sure he'll be glad to step into any time machine you can provide.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Knowing what we know now, Braun's comments on Laurenzi are not defendable on any level.

But ...

Let's not pretend Laurenzi is some beacon of competence.

He is the drug tester for the only successful appeal of a drug test in MLB's testing history. And we all know now for certain that Braun was guilty.

He did plenty of damage to his own career before Braun threw unwarranted gas on the fire.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Oh boy.

It's just sad when otherwise sane posters become pathetic fanbois.

8. Bubbler

Oh fuck off. Everything I stated was fact about Laurenzi. His mistakes helped Braun win an appeal he shouldn't have.

Where Braun is the mega-asshole is that he thought by winning his appeal he could away with taking an extra shot at Laurenzi.

Now Braun is taking the medicine he deserves to take for doing it.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Laurenzi got the sample to the testing lab without any problem. Nothing happened to the sample.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

He got a 58-game suspension, right? The rest of the 2013 season? The Brewers are way out of it and aren't coming close to the playoffs. He probably took it because, A) It doesn't matter from a competitive standpoint; and B) Seeing what they did to A-Rod, it was a reasonable offer and the best he was likely to get. The more he fought, the worse it would be for him. This way he was able to take his medicine, disappear, let things die down and start somewhat fresh in spring training.

11. old_tony

He got 65 games. Everything else you say is correct. But as I stated on a different thread, he's basically getting an extra 15 games as punishment for winning his appeal. In the end, though, he was battling a shitload of nagging injuries this season (neck, thumb). Part of me believes he would have missed a lot of time over these final months anyway. In fact, the timing of the way it all played out makes me think if he'd stayed on the DL until 50 games remained that his suspension would have only been 50 games. In other words, it would have been whatever was left in the season as long as it was at least 50 games.

12. Bubbler

Yeah ... after it sat in a Tupperware container in his house for two days.

That appeal was won by Braun for a reason ... Laurenzi didn't do his job right.

I'm surprised that those who want to punish the guilty want to ignore that fact, but if Laurenzi had dropped off the sample by protocol and to a location on-time, as he could have done, Braun never wins his appeal, he gets the punishment he deserved at the time, and we're not talking about this years later.

Again, it does not make Braun's post-appeal statements on Laurenzi defendable at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted