1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ryan Braun now linked to Miami PED clinic

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Re: Miami New Times: A-Rod, Melky, Gio Gonzalez, others linked to PED clinic

This HGH stuff is pretty interesting for that set, cran.

Would you take something that kept you vibrant and active until age 70 and then killed you?

Or would you rather live to 85 but be creaky and weak?

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'd rather live to 85. You? The way I look at it, I can still think. I'm more than my body. I watched a close relative die of cancer recently, and some of his doctors and nurses were really trying to encourage him to give up the fight, because his body was "telling (him) that it's tired." But he knew that, physically ravaged as he was, every second he could stick around was another second he could think and ponder. That made it worth it.

Obviously, the priorities of a lot of professional athletes might differ.

3. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Roger Daltrey agrees.

/ 12-12-12 Concert

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Not to mention contestants on a lot of reality shows.

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Gio Gonzalez is a name that surprised me. And, apparently, his father:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/wp/2013/01/29/report-gio-gonzalez-linked-to-miami-clinic-that-supplied-performance-enhancing-drugs/

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I wouldn't take hGH if I thought it would kill me. But I don't think that it would kill me. And one would think there'd at least some anecdotal body of evidence of such deaths considering it's a $1.4 billion industry, right?

7. LongTimeListener

So the dad gave the doctor the son's name to keep the dad shielded from the public eye?

Mmmm hmmm.

8. LongTimeListener

You raise a good point and I did frame the hypothetical poorly. It's not be vibrant till 70 and then it kills you. It's be vibrant till 70 and then some people think it might do you some harm (which of course you could encounter similar health problems anyway without it).

So put that way, Dick ... yeah, if I feel like I'm getting frail and weak and unable to be active when I'm that age, and there's a treatment that reverses that, hell yeah I'm on it. Isn't that what medicine is?

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Why would any name surprrise you?

10. Steak Snabler

Bob Klapisch tweet:

https://twitter.com/BobKlap/status/296297816765132800

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

For all that is good and holy in this world, please let those other names include Bagwell and Piazza. Pretty please.

12. Steak Snabler

Kinda doubt it. Seems like this only involves guys who are currently active. And neither Bagwell nor Piazza have close ties to south Florida, save for Piazza's 5 games with the Marlins in 1998.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.