1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ryan Braun - NL MVP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 22, 2011.

1. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

Why should the voters feel ashamed?

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Except that Matt Kemp was actually better than Ryan Braun aside from the whole teammates issue...

With that said, this shouldn't be causing any righteous indignation. Ryan Braun had a tremendous year and was, at worst, the No. 3 choice (and that suggests someone considers Clayton Kershaw, who won the NL pitching triple crown, more valuable).

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Braun led the NL in SLG and OBP, Kemp in runs, HR and RBI. Kemp had more steals (not by a lot), and struck out more (by a lot). Braun had a higher batting average. Kemp plays a premium defensive position adequately, Braun played a lesser defensive position superbly.

CORRECTION: Braun led in SLG and OPS. Kemp was .002 higher in OBP.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Kemp was only adequate in the field? I'm not sure where you're getting that. He probably didn't deserve the center-field gold glove (which he won), but he would have been second or third on my list and would have received an outfield gold glove vote from me had they not switched to the better system of specific positions.

Also, Miller Park is an established hitter's park while Dodger Stadium is an established pitcher's park. Again, Braun was a fine choice.

5. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

Anyone who calls this a "fucking joke," is a fucking joke. Braun was a perfectly acceptable choice. His numbers were ridiculous and he came through with several HUGE at bats late in the season and postseason for Milwaukee. If the gap were tremendous, Kemp should have gotten it, but it's not like he was remarkably better than Braun. The deciding factor was that Braun played in meaningful games and was the difference in Milwaukee winning many of them.

6. TheSportsPredictor

Six out of 10 in NL fielding percentage, 9th out of 10 in range factor, only three NL CFs made more errors, 5th in total chances. He was first in assists and second in zone rating. Very little says he is clearly better than all the other CFs in the NL.

7. TheSportsPredictor

So you're saying he had better teammates (because he played in meaningful games). Which is usually the deciding factor in these types of votes.

8. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

I'm saying that the two were so close in most stats that you have to consider the circumstances in which Braun accumulated said stats. Braun won a lot of games for the Brewers with clutch at bats. Kemp was piling up numbers on a team 10 games out of first place. That's not his fault, but how do we know how he would have done in the same type of pressure situations? We don't. Braun seems to get better in big spots. Kemp hasn't been in any so we just don't know.

If he had hit .380 or 55 home runs it would be a different story.

9. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

To clarify, either would have been a deserving choice. But to call Braun winning a "fucking joke," is not fair.

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I would have voted Kemp, but by baseball award standards, this is not too bad.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

A joke remains a joke. Braun had a wonderful year, but this one shouldn't have been in doubt. Do I have to remind one and all of the most salient point -- all ball games are "meaningful." "Clutch" does not mean "game I paid attention to because a winning team was in it." Simple arithmetic says that if one subtracts roughly equivalent offensive performances from a 95 and an 80 win baseball team, the subtraction leaves the 80 win team far worse off than the 95 win team. MVP voting is conducted exactly backwards. The best player on a poor team is more "Valuable" as is traditionally defined by MVP selectors because the worse the team, the more its best player represents its only hope of winning.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Because they gave the MVP award to a player who was nowhere near the most valuable.

Draft saved Draft deleted