1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rutgers prof in hot water over racist statements

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chi City 81, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Indeed, playthrough.

Better not upset the machine that is Rutgers Football, king of kings, winner of all, mightiest of the beasts. All hail Rutgers!

I live right down the road now from Rutgers, and I have no issue with the program making its meteoric rise. But this high 'n' mighty tone by the school prez or whoever made the original charge of racism needs to go rinse his mouth out with toilet water.

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

FACT!

You are definitely reading the story wrong because the guy is talking ONLY about giving scholarships (AKA free education) to people that are not at the school for an education (AKA student-athletes).

3. Good_listener

Good_listener New Member

The fact that anyone's family gets threatened over sports in any way, shape or form is sickening.

The NCAA/college athletics machine is way out of control, agreed. And there are deserving kids who are not athletes getting the shaft. My best friend certainly did. But the way it gets fixed isn't by attacking the kids and painting them all as illiterate and unworthy of being there.

4. Good_listener

Good_listener New Member

He paints all student-athletes with a broad brush. That's wrong.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The cereal box line was outstanding by the prof. Best line in the entire story.

6. Good_listener

Good_listener New Member

Very true. He's a moron and has demonstrated it repeatedly.

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

No, he does NOT. He is, once again, saying that people that are at his school for free should be there to learn. If they are not there to learn they should not be there for free.

This really isn't that complicated.

8. Good_listener

Good_listener New Member

I get it from the quote about "intellectually brilliant students who happen to be athletes" and from this paragraph:

The counterpoint, for Dr. Dowling, was the college experience he had savored as an undergraduate at Dartmouth. The bookish and athletic child of a working-class family, he won a scholarship earmarked for “the most promising rural youth” in New Hampshire. On the campus in the mid-1960s, the advent of the counterculture, he befriended jazz musicians and aspiring actors, and spent four years in “a nonstop conversation, staying up till 3 in the morning arguing about ideas.”

The "intellectually brilliant" comment is most bothersome. What about the B student? Is that person somehow undeserving?

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

When you're talking about full scholarships, yes, the B student is probably not deserving, or, at least, less deserving than the A student.

I think the disconnect here is that you're reading him talking about admissions, when the issue is clearly scholarships, as per the section you quoted.

10. He's still pissed Dylan went electric?
    Wow.
    Don't know if he's racist, but he's plainly deaf.

11. Good_listener

Good_listener New Member

I guess that is the difference, then. I still find it bothersome.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Understood.

It's a touchy issue: It plays on our national ethos of democracy as well as our good intentions regarding children, etc.

Throw the race card in and it's a potentially explosive subject, to be sure.

Draft saved Draft deleted