1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rutgers prof in hot water over racist statements

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chi City 81, Sep 27, 2007.

1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

This is a guy who thinks scholarship money should go to needy young scholars -- rather than high-profile "student-athletes." You're misreading the story.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I'm sure that Princeton is ruing the day that you slipped through its elitist fingers.

3. Good_listener

Good_listener New Member

I guess I am, because from what I read, he seems to think that scholars are the only ones who deserve to be in college. There's a tone that says anyone who's in college for reasons other than ones that mesh with his lofty ideals doesn't belong there. And that's just wrong.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Who should attend college other than scholars?

Isn't that sort of the definition?

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

In case you weren't aware, we also live in a country where you can be critical of the government without fear of being sent to jail or deported -- but we're working on it.

6. Good_listener

Good_listener New Member

OK, I'll bite. How do you define scholars?

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

2. One who attends school or studies with a teacher; a student.

8. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

A "scholar" is someone that is going to a school in order to learn. Many of these student-athletes have no real interest in being students and are only there to be athletes.

The professor is right. If they aren't in school because it is a school then don't give them a scholarship and don't let them in.

9. Good_listener

Good_listener New Member

OK. I don't think that's how Dowling defines it, however.

I mean, do you really think he believes the masses should be attending college? Do you think he believes that the less-intelligent, middle-of-the-road kid who decides to go to college and spends his share of time of time partying deserves to be there?

The way I read the story, I don't get the feeling Dowling defines those kids as scholars. I think he has a definition that includes only those who are there to pontificate and talk and only the kids who score the highest on their tests and are among the top 5 or 10 students in their graduating class.

There are a lot of middle-of-the-road kids who can benefit from college and who do. And they're certainly not among those "most promising" top students.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I don't think his quote is racist.

How is that racist?

11. Good_listener

Good_listener New Member

He makes a blanket, black-and-white statement, however, and there are plenty of athletes who are there to do more and be more than just athletes.

I still say his comments betray an overall attitude toward the rest of the world that is offensive.

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Dowling has not said which students shouldn't go to the school. Dowling said athletes should not go for free. Dowling is discussing scholarships not admission.

For a "good listener" you aren't a very good reader.

Draft saved Draft deleted