1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rutgers prof in hot water over racist statements

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chi City 81, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

Nope, nor was it a university that ever employed John Calipari, Jerry Tarkanian or Dennis Erickson.

2. boots

boots New Member

Rutgers. It is what it is.

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The State University of New Jersey

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Why do you even bother to post, you insufferable turd?

6. boots

boots New Member

What do you want? For me to call you a name? You're not worth it.
    Do you want me to say something about Rutgers? I did. There was nothing inflamatory said about the school or anyone else who posted.
    Now, what is your problem?

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

stoob: He is what he is.

8. boots

boots New Member

Zerke, the name is boots. However since you seem to get off spelling it backwards, it's cool.
    There is a little button called the ignore button. You're free to use it at any time. It doesn't cost anything. If you are having problems finding it, I'm sure one of the moderators can help you, that way you won't have to read my posts.
    It's really very simple, so simple that even you can do it.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The automatic outrage masks the inarguable fact that football and basketball at the highest D-I levels is a farce. You can find exceptions--but don't let those relatively rare exceptions make the argument that they are the norm, not the exception. By and large these are not STUDENT-athletes. In more cases than should be, they are gifted athletes who neither earned the college acceptance based on their academic performance, and who in many cases are ill-equipped to handle the rigors of college (let alone those rigors on top of the demands of the time their sport takes), and they get shuttled through by a corrupt system that makes a mockery of the academic institution with a wink-wink passing of guys who in occasional cases are illiterate, because of the revenue they bring in through their exploits on the playing field or court.

It won't happen because of the money football and basketball generate, but there should be a minor league system--one in which the players financially benefit from the money they generate--not the farce that exists that pretends that the 3/4 or more of any major college football or basketball team that doesn't really want to be in college, earned its way into the school or has done what a typical student has to do to stay.

10. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Instead of continually asking the other 6,999 7,873 posters here to hit the ignore button, why don't you just make better, smarter posts? Seems like less work, more fairly distributed.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Typical communist claptrap. ;)

As to the actual prof, I don't disagree with his general argument -- that masking big time athletics as opportunity for minority students serves neither the school nor minority students.

He could have -- perhaps -- been more clear about that, though the proceeding graf from the Times story goes a long way in that direction.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The Prof didn't write the story, maybe he was clear in his statements but the reporter didn't do a good job reporting it.

Draft saved Draft deleted