1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rutgers got some 'splainin' to do....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, May 26, 2013.

1. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

You do realize that she didn't go from volleyball coach at Tennessee to sitting on her couch for the last 16 years, then suddenly got hired out of the blue at Rutgers as the AD, right?

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Of course but you would think one of the very first things the search committee would do would be to dig into the reasons behind the abrupt termination of her coaching career.

And when I say "dig," I mean DIG. If you hire the right "diggers," they can find out how many times she was tardy for reading class in second grade.

3. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Definitely, and I agree with that. Especially from a school trying to dig itself out from a similar scandal in the first place.

I was just talking about the apparent thought process that a volleyball coach at Tennessee could never be qualified to be AD at a BCS school.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The thing that stinks to high heaven is the search committee giving them 47 names, and then none of those are good enough so one board member plucks this other person out of thin air, and they hire her without giving any weight at all to an issue that was at least partially related to a discrimination lawsuit. I'm sure the reporter that nailed them this time is looking into that relationship, and I can't wait to read that.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If nothing else you would think the circumstances that created the vacancy -- Rice's alleged abuse (physical, mental and emotional) of players -- would have made any allegations whatsoever of "player abuse" in the history of any applicant an instantaneous black flag.

From what I've heard today, RU appears to be doubling down and sticking with her. Good luck with that shit.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Sounds from the story like Rutgers already knew about this.

They just didn't care.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Mike Rice's lawyer applauds them for sticking to their guns.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Or it could be they were trying to go cheap. She was supposed to make $450k a year as a Big Ten AD dealing with the cost of living in North Jersey. I can't see the cream of the crop wanting to take on that much responsibility while getting paid like a linebackers coach.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

There are QBs at Auburn who made less

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That might be true, and I didn't know her pay was that low, but I would think for that to be the case they would have had to at least go down the road a certain distance with some of the candidates from the search list. There was no indication they even considered any of those candidates.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

this ain't over. the wicked witch and school prez will be history by end of summer. 8)

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I had never heard of her until this surfaced.

Draft saved Draft deleted