1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rutgers' AD: It would be "great" if the Star-Ledger went out of business

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by EStreetJoe, Apr 7, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's not ironic, or surprising. It demonstrates perfectly why she thinks it would be great if the Star-Ledger went out of business.

Luicci will write about Rutgers, and fans will still get their "news", but now he answers to Hermann.

That's perfect for Rutgers and Hermann.

It's why ADs, GMs, coaches and owners around the country agree with her.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Sure, until a scandal hits. Then everyone will be screaming about why it was kept secret. Everyone, that is, except the rabid fanbois.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Something fills the void, though. Something always does because there's always someone with some axe to grind willing to feed that info to someone willing to grind it for them.

The Star-Ledger at least has some standards. You start breaking down all the giant news organizations -- which inevitably move more slowly, involve more egos, and involve much more of risk analysis -- and you're left with single actors who lose no clout in the community when they uncover dirt. They gain clout. I've seen it over and over.

Julie Hermann has done some truly idiotic things before getting to Rutgers. She's taken shots for it. It's like she thought she shouldn't have because it was long enough ago, and nobody cared before now.

4. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

Some people just don't know when to shut the fuck up.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/09/19/rutgers-julie-hermann-penn-state-jerry-sandusky-joke?xid=nl_siextra

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Sounds like good advice. Case dismissed.

6. Bump ...
    http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i..._guy_the_scapegoat_for_her_gaffes_politi.html

Herman throws SID under the bus forces him to resign.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't feel I fully get that story. Why would there be a power struggle? The AD has the power. Were people not wanting to work with Tom Luicci so he said they go or I go or what?

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't think it was a "power struggle" between the AD and Baum. Perhaps Luicci and Baum.

The AD won't be there in three years. Way too worried about power consolidation and stamp-making. Once the football program gets its ass kicked -- and it's sure as shit coming -- she'll be done.

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

As much as I respect your experience and circumspection, I think you're completely off on this and Hermann will stay as long as she wants. She already defeated the flashmob that tried to run her out on a rail. The money accruing to Rutgers athletics in the coming years is going to increase exponentially, she's in on the ground floor. A smart person doesn't walk away from equity.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

If Rutgers is respectable in football, I agree, she'll stick.

If Rutgers goes 1-7 and 0-8 over the next two years of the Big Ten -- and I think it will -- she's gone.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Julie Hermann is really going to hate the Star-Ledger for this one.

5 Rutgers football players arrested in connection with home invasions and assault

Barnwell is at the center of the investigation of Flood, with the university looking into whether the Rutgers football coach broke school policy by contacting a professor regarding Barnwell's grades. The junior cornerback was declared academically ineligible in the spring, according to two school officials.

Flood defied academic support staff when he contacted the professor, two sources told NJ Advance Media.

Peele was charged with assault in August 2014 for allegedly pulling the hair and scratching the face of a girlfriend. The charges were later dropped.

Minutes before the charges were announced, Flood told reporters he was confident he would coach the team in the season opener Saturday at home against Norfolk State.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Chicks have zero sense of humor about that word. We just have to live with it.

Draft saved Draft deleted