1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rutgers' AD: It would be "great" if the Star-Ledger went out of business

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by EStreetJoe, Apr 7, 2014.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I have grew up with two sisters and a mother, too, so I don't use it, but I don't see the need to banish it from the site any more than any other nasty curse word. Its use is just a reflection of the user.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

It's inflammatory in much the same way the n-word is inflammatory. Although I guess you don't hear females use it on each other in mixed company.

3. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

This just sums up what a circus Rutgers' administration has been for years. Like a live-action episode of House Of Cards. At this point they'd fuck up a cup of coffee, never mind an athletic department.

4. jr/shotglass

Of course, Robin Wright's character is a lot sharper than Julie Hermann's.

5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I don't believe in redaction of anything on this site. It's just a board.
    I do respect the administrator's aversion to distastefulness.
    There's some stuff you just don't say.
    Star Man waves it around like a kid with his dad's toy gun.
    Yes, it does reflect on the user- and on the user's upbringing and manners.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

This is why it wouldn't bother for it to be preserved for all to see. I'm OK with it either way, but I don't see what makes it so much more offensive than bitch, asshole or whatever else. I guess it just is.

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Not to get off-topic, but Hermann doesn't have enough bullets in her gun. Where will RU get the hundreds of millions to match facilities with Michigan and Ohio State? There are more than a few perennial cellar-dwellers in the B1G who will NEVER be football compeititive. Indiana is comparable to RU and popular among New Jersey high school grads. Few blue chip recruits are lining up there. Or at Illinois, etc. As my college coach, Vince Gibson, said, "The can only coach so much. You've got to have talent if you want to win."

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It is not the same as the n-word.

I understand the comparison. There are very few words I won't use and those two are at the top of the list, but like most profanity, I am at a loss to explain exactly what is so horrible about the c-word. I don't have that problem with the n-word.

That said, posters here should respect the ban on it rather than trying to find ways around it. If you are that desperate to use it, there are other places that you can indulge.

9. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

Irony alert: Former Ledger reporter Tom Luicci lands at Rutgers

http://www.mycentraljersey.com/article/20140410/NJSPORTS0210/304100051

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

You beat me too this -- so this asshole AD who hates the Star-Ledger and media in general creates a position to hire a Star-Ledger lifer? Is she chemically imbalanced or something?

11. TopSpin

TopSpin Member

The student columnist blasting his classmate for reporting the AD's comments may want to consider changing majors if he doesn't see the news value.

http://jimromenesko.com/2014/04/11/rutgers-sports-columnist-blasts-classmate-for-writing-about-athletic-directors-classroom-talk/

12. jr/shotglass

Isn't that the truth.

Draft saved Draft deleted