1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rutgers' AD: It would be "great" if the Star-Ledger went out of business

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by EStreetJoe, Apr 7, 2014.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Can't believe people are up in arms over this.
    This is a freaking volleyball coach - glorified P.E. teacher now wannabe administrator.
    Who gives a damn what she thinks.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

If would be great if Rutgers dropped football. Only possible benefit I can see is an extra win for the Gophers.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

As said above, few in the NY metro area would give a flying fart in outer space if any collegiate sports chose to go away.
    More coverage to the teams that matter.

4. awriter

awriter Active Member

You're right, she didn't lay off any of them off. But she did make it clear she'd be more than happy to see them all lose their jobs. That's much better, right?

5. awriter

awriter Active Member

You don't see a problem with a high-profile administrator at the state university rooting for hundreds of people -- people whose taxes are helping pay her salary -- to lose their jobs? That and the fact that she thought her comments were off the record doesn't raise more questions about her judgment?

6. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

Thank you.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Finally. Someone brave enough to fight for the right to use the "C" word.

When we finally secure this right, Starman will be the Rosa Parks of the movement.

8. 3_Octave_Fart

I love how Star Man crusades for fairness and then uses a term most of polite society considers abhorrent.
    I have three sisters and a mother I love more than life itself.
    I am no prince, but I'll never use that word.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I do understand the sentiment. No one likes to read/hear unflattering stuff about them and the temptation is to shoot the messenger.

When I worked at Scandal State U, there were days I was tempted to tell our beat writer (who was digging up more dirt on the basketball coach): "Why don't you go investigate the high school girls soccer coach and I'll fax you the results of the track meet?" (This, of course, before the days of the internet.)

Now, with every school on the planet having its own website, their need for the traditional mainstream media is less and less. I suspect the day is not too far away when media access will become even more limited. Can they actually put up a fence and keep the media out entirely? At public institutions, that will be an interesting legal battle to watch.

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

There's nothing Hermann said in that interview that isn't coldly calculated. As a NJ taxpayer, I am still dumbfounded that Rutgers football has become important. I am skeptical the school can marshall the forces needed to be competitive in the B1G.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Prediction here is that Rutgers go 0-for-whatever in conference games in the next two years. They weren't really competitive in the American Conference.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted