1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rutgers' AD: It would be "great" if the Star-Ledger went out of business

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by EStreetJoe, Apr 7, 2014.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Stay classy, Julie Hermann, stay classy...

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2014/04/julie_hermann_it_would_be_great_if_the_star-ledger_went_out_of_business.html#incart_m-rpt-1

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

A case study in utter incompetence.

Talk about an affirmative action princess.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Just want to save this quote.

Wish I had seen it before Moddy cleaned it up.

4. Gold

Gold Active Member

This isn't an affirmative action problem, this is just a very bad hiring decision. As a Seton Hall fan, I rejoice in Rutgers' misery.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

What this woman said was disgusting and I wish bad things upon her.
    But we don't need the C-word here under any circumstances. It has never been tolerated and will never be tolerated.
    There are other ways to say things.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Wonder if the Big Ten has any buyer's remorse about letting Rutgers into the party. Not sure that athletic department has had one piece of good news in the past two years. And please spare me the "getting the NYC market" argument.

7. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

I did something I shouldn't have and I read the comments on that story and spent time I'll never get back. The amount of people taking Hermann's side is a little disheartening. I'm also thankful my shop did away with anonymous commenting a while ago.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Men can be called cocks, pricks, dicks, cocksuckers, motherfuckers, etc etc etc and nobody bats an eye, but one little word (in particular) about the dainty darlings and everybody goes into vapors.

Women deserve to be in every battleground of the public arena and be willing and able to take whatever they get and whatever they deserve in that arena. Buckle up your chinstraps, sweeties.

They don't need any big brothers on white steeds swooping in to dry their tears if the nasty man says something naughty that hurts their feelings. The soft bigotry of patronizing paternalism.

Tiger Woods doesn't break down weeping if somebody calls him a dick or a horny fucker. If Herrmann were male I'd have called him an asshole motherfucker and nobody would have cared.

It's particularly amusing that some of the people who get most upset about this stuff are defending the virginal honor of female individuals who constantly go into boring and monontonous routines about what rough and tough and fearless and rugged macho mamas they are. Until nasty people start calling them nasty names, boo hoo, snif snif.

And, of course, while we're at it, in oh-so-cultured-and-refined Great Britain, the word in queston is barely even considered naughty.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Why do you hate women?

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Dude, it's just a really awful word. On this side of the pond. I love cursing as much as the next foul-mouthed asshole (come play golf with me sometime), but there's a limit.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yeah, he's actually well-known for his thick skin.

And Moddy reacts well to being called a "dick," too.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I think he hates being told to shove it up his ass, too. (friend told me)

Draft saved Draft deleted