1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rutgers' AD canned

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I just read the Star-Ledger stuff on Bob Mulcahy (interesting typo in final graph that speaks to the thinned staffs).
    Shared a cab with him in NY once. Always thought he was a pretty good guy who did a pretty good job there but I'm hardly in the loop.
    This was or was not a surprise?

2. markvid

markvid Guest

Given how far deep they got over the stadium expansion when it was fought from day 1 by many people within the University, not a surprise at all.
    Schiano won't be there much longer either.
    Rutgers returns to being a mid-level player.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Surprised that this has not come up sooner on SJ radar. Perhaps it shows how far we've fallen.

In past such stories have hit SJ before the ink is dry. The Star Ledger story was a very interesting and well done piece of work.

That said Mulcahy is a good guy and it seems like he is being made a scapegoat in the stadium mess.

Mulcahy prior to being AD at Rutgers was chairman of the NJ Sports and Exposition Authority and is perhaps the person most responsible for bringing major sporting events and teams to NJ.

Reading through the lines of SL story it seems that there is a faction of Rutgers leadership that does not want to have a big time football program.

One thing that needs to be flushed out more is relationship of Nelligan sports to Rutgers program.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Most of this has little to do with the faction at Rutgers that does not want a big time football program. Nor does it have to do directly with Nelligan sports and the deals Mulcahy made with them to funnel extra money to Schiano...altough the Star-Ledger stories provide the grease Mulcahy's opponent(s) needed to get rid of him (hmmm, care to guess who the source of those stories was?)

It has to do with the political in-fighting and back-stabbing that is rampant in any high-profile position in New Jersey (and most other states). The guy who orchestrated Mulcahy's firing as a member of the RU board of governors is the guy who succeeded Mulcahy as NJSEA honcho, George Zoffinger, who bailed out on the Meadowlands about a year and a half ago because his political clout in that position was eroding.
    This is mostly a tangled political web and Mulcahy finally got caught up in the politcal game he has played very well for most of his life. Basically, he has never been quite the nice guy he comes across as but he is a little less slimy that Zoffinger.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

spnited, still think he's gonna wait it out for Paterno to retire? To me, that's his most obvious move, after blowing off Miami.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

No doubt Schiano is waiting on JoePa to retire. Even with Mulcahy's demise, Schinao's got it good where he is. He scored more points this year by going from a 1-5 disaster to 7-5 and a bowl bid.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The only thing with the Paterno situation is you never know when D-Day will be. I'm thinking more and more that he's gonna pull a Dean Smith, which means the job ends up in Tom Bradley's lap and gives little chance for Spanier to go outside.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Quite possible, wicked, which is a good thing for Schiano.

Paterno maneuvers to get Bradley the job, Badley has trwo so-so years, doesn't meet expectations, get canned and the next guy (Greg Schiano) is now no longer the successor to JoePa. It's always best not to succeed the legend.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

Nobody wants to be Phil Bengston.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

But will Schiano be able to last that long at Rutgers? That'd be my concern at this point. With the expansion flopping like this, the falsely high expectations are gonna be put on his back at some point.

11. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I just hope I don't see him swimming with the fishes when I go see my best friend in Manhattan in a few months.

Depending on which airport I use, I might see a floater. That's how they roll.

12. markvid

markvid Guest

I, speaking as a Penn State grad and fan here, believe Tom Bradley deserves that job and will do well.

Draft saved Draft deleted