1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Russia Grants Snowden Temporary Asylum

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Snowden will be dead by Labor Day.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Highly likely if he's granted a drivers' license.

3. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

It's a fucking joke this doesn't qualify as a politics thread.

4. Armchair_QB

Why?

5. dog eat dog world

It's as political as the SCOTUS crap, which was actually judicial.
    But it depends on who starts the threads. Everyone knows that.

6. Armchair_QB

Well, I guess if you have a problem with it, the simple thing to do is not click on it. This is a legitimate news story whether you like it or not.

7. dog eat dog world

Legitimate news stories get locked all the time on here ...depends on who you are. Congrats, you're special.
    To set it straight, I don't have a problem with your thread. I don't have a problem with the politics thread being an all open warfare, anything goes example of liberal tolerance that is actually tolerance. But we know that ain't, and it's why I'm merely doing a drive-by.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Retrace the thread.

For 10 posts, nobody said anything more than remotely political.

Then somebody did. As usual.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Hypocrisy?

10. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

This cracking down hard on leakers pretty much sums up a lot of the Obama presidency in a nutshell. No one on the right gives him credit for it and the left hates him for it.

11. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Great story in the NYT Sunday magazine yesterday about the reporters who worked with Snowden and what they had to go through in the day-to-day work of this kind of story (for instance, getting stopped, detained and questioned virtually every time they were on a flight entering or leaving the U.S.). I guess this has been going on for longer than I knew, but I was floored at the last sentence of this graf:

In April, Poitras e-mailed Greenwald to say they needed to speak face to face. Greenwald happened to be in the United States, speaking at a conference in a suburb of New York City, and the two met in the lobby of his hotel. “She was very cautious,” Greenwald recalled. “She insisted that I not take my cellphone, because of this ability the government has to remotely listen to cellphones even when they are turned off."

A quick Internet search confirms that, indeed, this is possible. I'll be damned.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Which dovetails rather well with the news that Greenwald's partner* was detained for the maximum nine hours at Heathrow under the U.K.'s Terrorism Act, eventually being released without any of his electronics.

*-Yes, said partner is male, although referring to a boyfriend/girlfriend as a "partner" is common in Britain for both gay and straight relationships.

Draft saved Draft deleted