1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Russert coverage a 'derelection of journalistic duty'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WaylonJennings, Jun 19, 2008.

1. bp6316

bp6316 Member

I find myself agreeing with him to a large extent, which wouldn't normally be like me. But it just seemed...I don't know...surreal.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You could probably argue that Russert's death got more coverage than anyone since Princess Diana.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Like Hitler, the Russert coverage was good at first but went too far.

The guy was well-liked, well-respected and good at what he did but I'd bet more than half the people in America couldn't have picked him out of a lineup.

4. I'd say Reagan coverage outshone Tim, but we're talking about one of the country's most popular presidents vs. the guy who interviewed presidents on occasion.

I was OK with it until maybe Monday. Then it got to be a little much.

5. Mizzougrad96

I'll bet it's more than half. That's not a knock at the guy in any way, but he hosted a Sunday morning political show. It's not exactly the nightly news.

As we discussed on one of the other threads, the surprise about his death and the timing of it coming during an election year, combined with his likability all played a huge role in his funeral getting the coverage it did.

I'm trying to think of the mega-funerals of my lifetime, the ones that they break into regular programming to show. Princess Diana, John Lennon, Ronald Reagan, Pope John Paul II...

I'm sorry, but Russert is not famous enough to merit such treatment.

6. Mizzougrad96

You're probably right, but how crazy is it that it's even debatable? Who got more coverage one of the most popular presidents of the last century or a guy who hosted a Sunday morning political show.

Ed Bradley and Peter Jennings didn't get 1/1000th the coverage Russert did.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I think it has gotten more

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

In hindsight, I'd have to agree that Russert coverage taking all 30 min on the NBC Nightly News on Friday was too much.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Well, Elton John has not sang his takeoff of "Goodbye, Norma Jean" to Russert.

Yet.

10. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Friday night, the day Russert passed away, NBC Nightly News presented no other news aside from reflections on his passing.
    I said to my wife, "Russert would have been embarrassed by this. If anyone knew there was more news out there, it was him."

11. Mediator

Mediator Member

Look at Ace! Throwing the Hitler analogies around! Well I guess now that the Jemele thread is locked...

I was shocked by the Russert coverage. I understand that a lot of news types knew him and were shocked, but such public grieving over one of your own is a misappropriation of the airwaves.

Draft saved Draft deleted