1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Russell Westbrook for NBA MVP?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HandsomeHarley, Mar 6, 2015.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't know ... if Durant is back and if Bogut is hobbling, the Thunder has some big advantages.

Warriors probably more balanced and just better, but it would be entertaining and up-tempo at least. Starman will watch.

2. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Right now:
    1. Curry
    2. Harden
    3. Westbrook

But if RW keeps up this insane play over the final 20 games and wills OKC into the playoffs... I dont see what could be any more valuable than that. He will have taken a team without the reigning mvp most of the season and, by putting up playstation stats, carried them into the most stacked playoff field i can remember. That's value, right there.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'd tend to agree with that. Let's see what happens when Durant comes back. Might be they have to move one of them in the offseason.

I've always thought Durant will be the one to replace Kobe.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

With Curry and Harden the two leaders for the MVP race, I find it interesting to look back at the 2009 draft and note that Hasheem Thabeet and Johnny Flynn were picked ahead of Curry, and Thabeet was picked ahead of Harden. How good could Memphis be now if it had taken Harden over Thabeet?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I thought Flynn was going to translate well in the NBA. I also thought Thabeet might develop after a few years.

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

VERY. A stud wing scorer is exactly the one piece Memphis has been missing the last few years, Harden would've been utterly perfect for them. Add Harden to Randolph, Conley, Gasol and a shutdown defender like Allen? Oh my. That pick may've cost Memphis some championships.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Westbrook: 27.3 ppg, 7.1 rpg, 8.3 apg, 43/29/84, 29.84 PER, 7 triple doubles
    Harden: 27.0, 5.8, 7.1, 45-38-87, 26.78 PER, 3 triple doubles
    Curry: 23.6, 4.4, 7.8, 48/42/90, 27.81 PER, 0 triple doubles
    James: 26.0, 5.8, 7.3, 49/35/71, 26.13 PER, 0 triple doubles

This is going to be a fascinating vote. They're all just complete studs.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah. I'm in the tank for Curry, but I do think if it's that close you give it to the guy who piloted the 65-win team.

10. JackReacher

Who's winning 65 games this year?

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Golden State, if they close out the season 14-5, which is entirely doable.

12. JackReacher

Oh, wow, Didn't realize there were so many games left in the season. Yeah, that seems definitely doable.

Draft saved Draft deleted