1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Russell Westbrook for NBA MVP?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HandsomeHarley, Mar 6, 2015.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Only if the league rules had changed to allow three balls on the court at once.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Random thought on these awards: I've long felt that the MVP and the Coach of the Year probably shouldn't come from the same team. If you've got a player performing at MVP levels, it's easier to be a swell coach. And if you've got the best coach, then your team benefits from that, apart from the MVP candidate's play.

Not a hard-and-fast rule, more of a guideline. But based on the crop of MVP candidates, Curry might be getting an assist from Steve Kerr in ways that Harden (McHale), Westbrook (Brooks) and James (Blatt) are not. Or maybe Budenholzer will be the COY anyway.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Budenholzer and there's not even a second place.

Hawks ... go figure.

They'll still be out in the 2nd round.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Just another triple double for Westbrook. NBD.

Seriously, this guy is on some kind of heater.

5. LongTimeListener

But Steph Curry did this:

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I'm of a mind with Joe right now. My head says Harden, but my heart says Curry. Curry has a loaded team and an excellent coach, and Harden has neither.

I'd put Westbrook third. LeBron was terrible (by his standards) until he took two weeks off to get roided up, and the Cavs didn't really get going until Mozgov showed up.

Let's also not forget that OKC was choosing between Harden and Curry in the 2009 draft, and now it has neither.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Has anyone from Golden State missed a significant amount of time due to injury?

One would think a key to the debate is the fact that Harden has the Rockets at 21-10 without Dwight Howard this year, while Westbrook has led the Thunder to a 17-19 mark without Kevin Durant.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I mean, that 17-19 record would be a lot worse if not for Westbrook, right? He's keeping them in the playoff hunt in a tough Western Conference.

9. LongTimeListener

Warriors vs. Thunder would be one hell of a first-round matchup.

Rusty Shackleford likes this.
  10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I agree that Harden should get it over Westbrook, but let's not argue that losing Howard is equivalent to losing Durant.

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'd never argue that. But we can't forget that Howard is a great player when healthy.

I'm a Curry guy. I'm just sayin', it plays into what these guys have had to work with most of the season.

LeBron is surrounded by far more talent, and his teammates are pretty much who they were before he got there, while Kevin Love has actually regressed a bit.

12. joe king

joe king Active Member

Sweep.

Draft saved Draft deleted