1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Russ Grimm: The one, true Steelers head coach -- well, maybe not

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DyePack, Jan 21, 2007.

1. DyePack

DyePack New Member

http://www.triblive.com

Just thought I'd set this one up for when the game of musical chairs begins.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Re: Russ Grimm: The one, true Steelers head coach

If the Tribune's right on this, they would look mighty good when the announcement comes.

3. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

That would be a first !

4. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

My source says it's an upset.

Foge Fazio.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Oh geez ... talk about a blast from the past. Oh, how I've tried to forget that name.

6. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Well, someone (or someones - is that a word?) is going to look bad on this. Either the Tribune-Review or SI.com/ESPN's Mortensen. Let the fun begin.

7. RokSki

RokSki New Member

DyePack: Love the lede. :)

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I would love for Mort to be wrong... Unfortunately, I doubt he is...

9. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I've got nothing against Mort, but his name shouldn't be attached to this story. He didn't break it, Silver did. ESPN's practice of saying "ESPN's so-and-so is confirming..." is total bullshit, an attempt to horn in on someone else's scoop and leave the average viewer thinking about what great inside info they have when in fact they've been beaten on the story. There's no shame in getting beat sometimes. No one can break every story, especially on a national beat. Why does ESPN have to try to give the impression that they do?

10. Re: Russ Grimm: The one, true Steelers head coach

Prisuta's source was likely sent by the Steelers to plant a seed of confusion until they are authorized by the NFL to issue a press alert for the Monday press conference. Steelers did issue a statement saying they have not agreed to a contract and would not be available the rest of the day.

Broadway Joe - ESPN thinks they 'OWN' the American sports news business. It is sickening Mortensen went on a sixth grader type denial just to make it look like he was involved and then only to come out reporting his own sources were now confirming the Tomlin selection.

I've heard its Tomlin from two local reporters but they can't go with it because the Rooney family and Steelers are absolutely not talking to reporters about it. Journalistic integrity does exist for some reporters, nice to see.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

On SportsCenter this morning, Mortensen said Tomlin will be offered the job today, but hasn't been informed of the decision yet. Essentially, Mort is saying he knows before Tomlin does...

Mort is such a douche that I really hope Grimm gets the job. Michael Silver is a great guy, but it would be Mort who is the most embarrassed if he winds up being wrong.

I'd much rather Mort be wrong than someone at Pittsburgh's No. 2 paper.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

This is an absolute mess. I can't wait to see who was wrong here.

Draft saved Draft deleted