1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rushing to be wrong

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BillyT, Jan 21, 2012.

1. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

I missed CBS' initial report. Did it have a byline, or did the desk rewrite based on the OS story?

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I know I said it on the other thread, and I probably said it on this one too, but, and it's my understanding from here that sportsline is only licensed by CBS, but, dammit, stamp it with CBS and you're adding the imprint of Murrow, Cronkite and all the other pioneer electronic journalists. Yes, there should be a higher standard.

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

In all the timelines and tracking of this series of events and news accounts of the coach's passing, what I'd like to know is this:

When, as in, what time, did Joe Paterno actually die?

I actually also agree with Jason Whitlock in believing that Devon Edwards has great potential to be a good journalist, in the best sense of the words.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

On TV, ESPN put up words on the screen that said time of death was 9:22 a.m. Sunday. I think that release came from the hospital, but I'm not sure.

5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Thanks, buckweaver.

To me, this is a fascinating case study -- and frankly, a likely-to-be-oft-repeated series of events -- in media work today.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

With all respect, SportsLine hasn't been SportsLine in 4 1/2 years now, and has been a full division of CBS Corp. (now part of CBS Interactive) since 2004. Doesn't change your point ...

7. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

Gee, don't see a lot of chest-puffing from CBS Sports right now, do we?

8. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

What world do you live in where you think there would be, and by anybody?

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info.

10. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

Uranus.

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Two questions:

1. Does being first (or trying to be first) on this sort of stuff provide a benefit that can be monetized in that moment -- all those extra clicks for a Web site, toted up and sold to advertisers -- or does it build over time with multiple "first's" into people's surfing habits and consistently bigger numbers? I guess the dead-tree version would be, is a scoop important for selling copies of that day's paper or for eventually selling more subscriptions as the paper's reputation for scoops grows? And I understand that the answer might be "Both."

2. Does being this wrong, this big, wipe out all the gains -- short- and long-term -- laid out in question No. 1?

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I can't see how anyone would remember a month from now who broke the Joe Is Dead story. But we'll all remember cbssports' gaffe for a long time.

There are some things you can swing for the fences for and miss -- I think readers will give reporters a pass on a bad trade rumor or two (though not 20) -- but I will never understand the death rush.

Draft saved Draft deleted