1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rushing the court

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

"Act like you've been there before" is my usual response.

But IU's current generation hasn't been there. It's more a sad commentary on the overall state of Indiana Hoosier athletics than it is on the current students.

It might be noted that Kansas State fans chanted "OVERRATED!!" Which is pretty dumb too. "Hey, you're getting beat by our group of bozos, because you're OVERRATED!!!!!!"

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The breaking of a long losing streak against the particular opponent should be at least the age of the average undergrad (20 games or so), victories against a No. 1 provided the underdog is unranked or hasn't beaten a ranked opponent in 10 years or so, and the game has to be televised....otherwise what is the point?

3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Gregg Doyle looks a little angry. Ryan, tell him to smile in that pic, it's not the cover of the football media guide.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Oh, to watch the lunacy on Hillsborough Street following an upset like that one.

While I don't advocate rushing the floor, NCSU's program has been so downtrodden that I didn't think there was anything wrong with it. I'm not exactly the most excitable sort, but I think I might have rushed the ESA floor if I were there.

Then again, if you know my situation, it might be easier to understand.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Kentucky was on quite the field-storming roll there for a while. Hell, they were even doing it when they lost :D

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I agree with your first statement and I think that rushing the court is OK in some very limited contexts -- but it has gotten out of hand.

Only huge, landmark kind of wins should illicit this kind of response.

Clemson beating a dogshit North Carolina team should not.

8. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

So rush the basketball court already. Have fun. It's a game, not a legal hearing.
    Same with football, but don't pull down the goalposts.

9. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Wow, you'd think if it happened again, Cleveland State would get hit with a pretty big fine.

Actually, I think we had a thread on this a few years ago. I remember posting about how my co-worker's alma mater was on ESPN's Bracket Busters one night and we saw the school fans rush the court after a win that wasn't that monumental. I was giving my co-worker all sorts of crap about that.

Then, of course, last year, my alma mater's fans rushed the court after the team clinched a spot in the Final Four -- of the frickin' NIT.

10. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Yeah, that was pretty embarrassing ...

But we Aztecs don't exactly have much to get excited about, do we? :D

Marshall Faulk, Tony Gwynn, Brian Sipe, Fred Dryer, Carl Weathers, and now maybe Steven Strasburg.

11. Crash

Crash Active Member

Got a third offense for rushing the field after a win against No. 1 LSU later that season. The win over Louisville looked really good at the time, when it was in the top 10. Not so much a week later, when Louisville lost to Syracuse.

EDIT: Sorry. Didn't read the thread far enough to see that someone had already posted this.

12. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Maybe it was God's will for those people to have goal posts land on them.

Draft saved Draft deleted