1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rush on tour

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Twoback, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

OK, seriously, what the fuck is THAT?

2. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Permanent Waves has always been my choice as the best Rush album. Start to finish, it's rock-solid.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

It belongs in the debate. But "Moving Pictures" is also outstanding, from the intro of "Tom Sawyer" to the fade-out on "Vital Signs." "Power Windows" is also a superb wire-to-wire album.

"Counterparts" comes close and "Hold Your Fire" could be in the discussion from tracks 1-8 ... last two bog it down.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Just like Farewell to Kings and hemispheres (preserves the transition between Cygnus X-1 parts), Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures fit together on a single CD.

78 glorious minutes of Rush's best back-to-back releases.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Which one is pinching nipple, you or Chris?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

I dig Rush. I like the lead singer. She has great vocals.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Moving Pictures is easily my fave Rush album. I go all the way back to the boys' debut which my neighbour, who was in high school when I was nine or 10, played the shit out of. I loved that album, it has a bluesy, hard rock edge that disappeared when Neil Peart came in.

Obviously Rush is still huge here in Toronto and when I was in junior high and high school we played the shit out of the debut, Farewell To Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves and especially 2112, but these days the only Rush album on my iPod in its entirety is Moving Pictures.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The best revenge is living well: Geddy Lee has been married (yes, Rush is capable of finding a woman and reproducing) for 34 years to the sister of a guy who kicked him out of a very early version of the band. I've always wondered if that guy spends every family event kicking himself in the balls.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Went to see Metallica years ago with my brother-in-law and a buddy of his who played guitar at the time in a band with Alex Lifeson's kid (not sure if it was the one he got arrested with). Said they'd always jam at Lifeson's house in the basement surrounded by guitars and road cases and just when he thought he was ripping off a hot solo, the old man would come down stairs and the kid would forget where he was going because he was too busy thinking, "Holy fuck, that's Alex Lifeson!"

He said Lifeson was always really cool about it and very supportive of what they were doing.

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

All good choices ... and I agree with those who said hearing Rush crank out the 2010 version of "The Camera Eye" would make this tour worth seeing by itself.

Personally, I would list "Distant Early Warning" near the top because it's the first album of theirs I bought. Side one of that tape -- at least before I wore it out -- kicks ass, especially "Afterimage"

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

that's a picture of Chris the bastard and I during the NIAFL owners meeting. It was a bit of a wild night after the banquet.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

That album which contains "Distant Early Warning" and "Afterimage" was "Grace Under Pressure."

"Afterimage" was worthwhile, "The Enemy Within" is very good and my favorite on that album, hands down, is "Between the Wheels." And I'll take all three of those over "Distant Early Warning" and "Red Sector A," both of which got more publicity.

Draft saved Draft deleted