1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rush Limbaugh Getting a Pass on 'Obama the Magic Negro?'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deeper_Background, May 18, 2007.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Obviously Whitlock will have something to say about this...

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

OK, I get that the bit aired on Limbaugh's show, but shouldn't the outrage, if there was any, be directed at Shanklin?

3. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

Let's hope he is magical!

and can turn this country into a MINORITY majority ruling enterprise.

4. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Redneck. Wow. I'm so insulted. I think you need a healthy, healthy dose of STFU.

That's the problem with the left these days. If you're not with them, you're against them.

I'm ignorant because I believe that someone who offends someone else should not be drawn and quartered for something they said? That's really brilliant. It is words, damnit. Bull Connors and Jim Crow did far more harm to folks than some perceived slight. Words and actions are wholly different animals.

Why are we so concerned about people being offended? "Barack the Magic Negro" is not fighting words. It isn't screaming "Fire!" in a crowded theater. If you don't like the parody, don't listen to Rush Limbaugh. Firing him and his boy will have a chilling effect on free speech. No wonder Rush always bemoans the left's lack of a sense of humor.

The problem is that some groups are protected and "special" while others are open season (like white males, whom liberals blame for the ills of the entire world). You can say anything you want about white males or Christians, but if you dare say anything even perceived as being defamatory towards one of those protected groups, duck for cover. What's the difference between black comedians horribly smearing white people with gratitutious stereotypes and white talk show hosts doing so? You tell me.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I'll play -- and provide some straight answers. If I get straight answers back, I'll keep playing.
    If I get obfuscation and sidetracking, I'm done on this thread.

(a) The Barack business with Rush is simply Rush currying favor with his considerable anti-black base. He knows his demographic well. He likes playing this game. He thinks he's being cute. He's about as cute as AIDS (or Ann Coulter -- pick one). He likes to stir shit, and laugh about it. Some people here are happy to call him on it.

(b) Outside of Christopher Hitchens, the right has very few stars with well-developed senses of humor.
    It's a severe shortcoming, as a true sense of humor is a sign of above-average intelligence.
    The right is slow to pick up on this. Given the give-big-business-all-the-breaks, all-the-time
    mindest of most Republicans currently in the House and Senate, t'ain't surprising. This group can
    be reeeeeealy slow in terms of sincere human-relations development.

(c) I readily understand how white males (and I am one) can feel up against it, in the current environment. The diversity drumbeat, promoted by so many media outlets, is frankly NOT
    advantageous to white males. No, It's not fair. And if you say this in public, most liberals will treat you as if you have three heads. Tough shit. Makes it no less true.

(d) Best way to combat (c) on an individual basis is to develop your character-reading skills as much as possible, while resisting any preconceived notions not based in fact. Look up the current opinions of Bill Cosby -- or Whitlock -- about the current rate of advancement of the modern black U. S. population (especially men), vis a vis their competition in the modern job market. It's tough out there, for most of us. It's tougher for people of whatever
    racial origins to advance straightforwardly and honestly without developing the kind of skills the current job markets will embrace.

There are certain societal realities currently in play. Anyone who doesn't understand them, going in, is lost, when trying to play the game.

6. Bamadog

Great stuff. I wouldn't say that the David Duke/KKK/WASP crowd are dittoheads, however.

I'm glad that there are folks like Whitlock and Cosby able to call a spade a spade. The hip hop culture of degradation, violence, materialism, anti-intellectualism and sexism is destroying a whole generation of children and it's a crying shame.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

Of course they're not. But saying such stupid shit is a way of implying that anyone who disagrees with the left's ideology is a racist. And tht makes liberals feel better about their own close-mindedness and intolerance.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Here's a novel idea:

Take your finger off the Easy Button and critically examine Obama's ideas and his stances on the issues instead of parodying his skin color.

Maybe you'll be surprised that analysis and/or criticism of that nature will be accepted without cries of "racist!".

9. Bamadog

I don't think the parody tune is making fun of Barack Obama's skin color or Obama in particular. I think it's more a statement on the "Magic Negro" column in the L.A. Times and on how some are saying that Barack is not black enough.

And Hillary is?

10. BTExpress

Perhaps, but combine it all (Magic Negro, Halfrican . . . ) and you'll see great steps are taken to avoid the issues and focus on race.

Black enough? Who cares?

Is he good enough? That's all that matters to me.

11. Bamadog

I also think he's got Hillary on the likeability factor. He seems like a charming and engaging man, whereas Hillary strikes me as a Machiveillian who will say and do anything to get votes (like her Ebonics-styled quotation of a negro spiritual in Selma or her "Southern" accent that draws cringes in droves). She's a cold-blooded political beast like her husband, but at least her husband was genial and charming. Cripes, he even introduced himself and had a friendly chat with his archnemesis, El Rushbo himself! Would Hillary do that? Nope.

12. BTExpress

True, but does that really matter?

Hillary basically kicks the crap out of every candidate in every party in foreign policy expertise. And it's hard to question her experience and/or her intelligence.

As far as being charming and engaging . . . Bush seemed pretty charming and engaging during the 2000 campaign.

Unfortunately, America doesn't know how to handle a strong woman. What comes off as "passionate" in a male candiate is "shrill" when done by Hillary. What comes off as "tough" in a male candidate is "bitch" when done by Hillary.

Draft saved Draft deleted