1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rush Limbaugh gets $400M contract

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

You do realize that you can only make your "start you own ____" for blogs, right?

"Pump Up The Volume" was a movie. Not a how-to for radio stardom.

2. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

The Fairness Doctrine and its equal time provision applied to appearances by political candidates.
    Limbaugh's ratings will probably go up if Obama is elected. His fans will look to him for the answer, whereas now they believe the answer is in the White House.

3. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Alma, I realize that you can't just say, "I am going to start a radio station. I'll call WKRP." But a guy like Limbaugh didn't just spontaneously end up with a national radio show. If you want to start a radio show that calls those guys on their bullshit, then work at getting one. But don't demand that the government hand it over to you.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I don't listen all the time, but this is not the impression I get. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that they believe GWB has sold out conservatism and is far too liberal for them.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Well, you know the media has been very desirous that a black talk show host can do well.

6. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Frank, I'll take your word for it. They're all too narrow-minded for me.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

More likely, the idea here is that Limbaugh would have to provide some balance in his show.

Nevermind. Who am I kidding?

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Pope,

Here's the point: Right now, with fewer limitations on how many stations a conglomerate can own, it's debatable whether ANYONE with centrist or left-leaning views could get a national radio show. Not because of talent or work ethic or <i>even</i> ratings potential. But simply because of their political views.

And once a media giant sets the national schedule, do you actually think the local station going to hire Granola Greg as a lead-in to Rush? Hell no - they're gonna hire some guy who complains about property taxes and government services and state smoking bans and stuff. They're gonna hire the anti-government guy. Because he fits in with Rush.

So what's a left-leaning talk show aspirant to do? Lie about their beliefs just get on the air? Try to hack it on NPR for 20 cents on the dollar? Become an actor or Ralph Nader so Air America pays attention? Because they're not getting anywhere near their local affiliates.

Did The Dixie Chicks (a group I loathe) somehow lose talent the day all their stuff was yanked off the radio? Did they lose their fan base? Of course not. The market didn't decide The Dixie Chicks were no longer fit consumption - a board of directors did. Is that right? Isn't that the antithesis of freedom of speech, when a really rich media holding company can turn the lights out on a popular group...just because they're mad at them?

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

the great irony, of course, being that the government has created the marketplace that allows Rush and his ilk to enjoy this success.

10. Government doesn't create marketplaces - unless it's a marketplace for welfare fraud.

Capitalism and demand create marketplaces.

You pantywaist liberal commie bastard.

11. Where was the outrage when Judge Judy signed her $25 million per year deal?

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Yep. Of this year's field, Rush would tolerate none but Romney.

Draft saved Draft deleted