1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rupert eyes LAT and Trib...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TigerVols, Oct 19, 2012.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Hmmm....

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-ct-murdoch-newspapers-20121020,0,6204152.story

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Part of me likes this. I think he'd want LAT and Chicago to raise their game a bit, and after the Randy Michaels debacle Tribune needs a little boost.

Still... what do you do with Fox? Sell the stations in LA and Chicago to another company?

3. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

"Murdoch's lieutenants say he has long wanted to buy The Times. On trips to Los Angeles, he is known to mark up the newspaper with a Sharpie pen to illustrate how he would design pages."

Yeah, I don't think Rupert is going to work desk shifts.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Maybe not, but he's a true newspaper man.

You don't think he'd be a better owner than a real estate titan?

5. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

As much as I despise Murdoch, yes Yankee Fan, he'd be a thousand times better than that Papa Doug shuck or whatever they call that idiot who's plunging the San Diego papers straight to hell.

A separate point here, the new Register owner would obviously consolidate. Nothing against the guy, but I really don't want to see that happen.

6. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

I think Murdoch could ask for a waiver of the cross-ownership rule. I believe he got them in New York and Boston.

7. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Is Murdoch someone who would cut a wide swath, eliminating jobs left and right?

What did he do with the Wall Street Journal?

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Someday before he dies I hope a Justice Department grows enough balls to probe into his fradulent/ extortion-greased fake American citizenship, strip him of it, and deport his ass back to Vegemiteistan.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The one thing you can say about Rupert is that he invests in the product when he feels it's warranted, which is better than almost every other chain owner nowadays. (He's been taking a bath on the Post for years.)

Of course, that was before the corporate split.

10. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

So you hate his politics, and therefore he is a criminal who must be deported?

I am now rooting for Rupert to acquire these papers.

Thanks.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

No, for what he's done to destroy the news industry as a whole (as much by influence/example as anything else). For THAT, he shouldn't be deported, he should be fucking shot.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Another guy who isn't as smart -- or virtuous -- as Starman.

Draft saved Draft deleted