1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running World Series thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Glad I have your guys' permission, thanks.

2. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Glad we're debating who it's OK to root for.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Two top-half payrolls.

Makes sense.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Who would of thought it would be this offense that would finally light up Verlander? I sure didn't.

5. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

That was the CW (moron Le Batard called the Cardinals the worst team -- he was talking beyond record -- to be in the final of any of the major pro sports), but if I have Pujols-Rolen-Edmonds hot, I'll take that into the foxhole any day.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

So now it's two top-half payrolls that makes your argument?

First it was BASEBALL TEAMS BUY THE PENNANT!! Now it's WELL, THOSE IN THE TOP HALF DO!!!!

I bet you didn't complain when the Raiders (10th in payroll) played the Bucs (11th in payroll) in the Super Bowl following the 2002 season, or when the Eagles (2nd in payroll) made the Super Bowl after the 2004 season, or when the Seahawks spent AN NFL-HIGH $100 MILLION to lose the Super Bowl to the Steelers (10th in payroll) last year.

FACT: MLB will have seven champs in seven years. Since 2001, the 12 spots in the World Series have been filled by 10 different teams. Only the Yankees and Cardinals have made multiple trips to the Series.

The NFL has one three-time champ and 8 teams in 10 Super Bowl spots in the last six years and it's an example of all that is right. Funny how that works.

(ahh yes that felt good...was pissed I missed the Yankees' exit and a chance to further prove my points about competitive balance)

7. markvid

markvid Guest

Whomever that woman was who tried to show off during God Bless America and had it blow up in her face should be

A - taken under the stands and clubbed like the whale she is...
    B - forced to listen to Kate Smith sing it right for 3 weeks straight.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

What's worse is the PA announcer said before she came out, "We are very proud of our musical history here in Detroit, so to honor that here is (a finalist from a past American Idol)!" Are you kidding me? That is the best they could do?

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I fucking hate, hate, hate the singing of GBA at every fucking national TV game now. It's an unnecessary show of faux-patriotism that should have ended after the 2001 season did.

Play the National Anthem before the game, play Take Me Out to the Ballgame at the stretch. There's your goddamn American tradition. ;D

(Besides, "America the Beautiful" is a much, much, much better song. If you want to wave the fucking flag, play that one. Just don't stop the game for it.)

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

It was either her, Kid Rock or Ted Nugent.

11. joe

joe Active Member

I'll take Kid Rock over the Nuge.
    And, basically, fuck the national anthem before games. What does it have to do with anything? I don't need some false patriotism shoved down my throat -- and never have, no matter what's going on in the world. It's more bullshit, just like everything else in this PC world, where appearance matters more than substance. It's played before every game in every sport now because no owner wants to be accused of being unpatriotic, like playing it has ANYTHING to do with being patriotic -- you know, like voting your conscience, participating in this democracy, standing up for what you believe no matter your political slant.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

We have a Neifi Perez sighting at shortstop.

Draft saved Draft deleted