1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running World Series thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Oct 20, 2006.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Kinda like BYH/Mets...although we already know BYH is a psycho

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

With any luck, the Tigers in a sweep as the NL continues to go winless in the World Series since Josh Beckett.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Hush, none of that talk. It will be a good hard fought series by both teams. One team will lose, one team will win. We'll find out that team within the next week.

;)

4. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

I doubt it will be worse then the Yankees vs Mets all time worst rated World Series.

5. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

"Not glamorous" code for "Midwest"

6. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Believe it or not, the Tigers and Cardinals have been playing baseball for a long time. Longer than, gasp, the Yankees and the Mets (with their USFL uniforms).

The Cardinals probably have a greater national following than the Mets, mostly because of KMOX back in the day.

7. Thinking Man

Thinking Man Member

Football_Bat you are a dirty bastard. We don't burn down houses here in the "D" for sports championships, we only roll police cars over and set them ablaze. House fires are strictly for Devil's Night, damn it.

8. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

To me the Cardinals and the Mets are much more interesting than, say, the "Sawx," Yankees, Orioles or Mets. They are the glamorous teams to me because these are the teams I see play all the time.

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

And it's a rematch of the 1968 series, which had the Cards take a 3 games to 1 lead before Detroit won three straight for the title.

It also featured this play at the plate.

[​IMG]

10. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

And Curt Flood's infamous misplayed fly ball.

If that happened to the Red Sox, you'd have heard about it every 30 seconds for the next 30 years.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

We also have the AL Wild Card team, with the 14th highest payroll in MLB, against the team with the worst record of any playoff qualifier and with the 11th highest payroll.
    Anybody want to whine some more about only the richest teams being able to win in MLB?

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

My worst nightmare come true. I'm a huge Cardinals fan living in Michigan. Boy, is this next week going to be a lot of fun.

Seriously, if the Tigers win, which I hope either way would occur in six games (I have a ticket for Game 6, but that's another story), it'd be good for Detroit and good for Michigan.

And spnited, great post above me. I've been trying to say for the last several years that this so-called "competitive balance" whining is a lot of hot air.

Draft saved Draft deleted