1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running World Series of Poker Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Joel_Goodsen, May 31, 2007.

1. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

Taking a break is one way, but whatever you do don't press and try to make something out of nothing by playing hands you wouldn't normally play.

If anything, when I'm running cold I tighten up a bit. It may mean even less action, but when you do get involved you should be coming out on top most hands which helps the confidence if not the bankroll.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I've found cardplayer to be the best for this, they're usually quicker with updates.

3. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

With 64 players remaining, Johnny Chan is fourth in chips in the mixed Hold'em event, which I believe will be pared to the final table tonight. In search for bracelet No. 11!

http://www.worldseriesofpoker.com/tourney/event.asp?tourneyID=3428&groupid=309

4. pallister

pallister Guest

I normally lose.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I keep repeating to myself: "Patience, poise, position. Patience, poise, position." Today was a great example. I was in a tournament for the circuit I regularly play in. You play for eight weeks to get enough points to play in the final tournament with a trip to Vegas and an entry into a satellite on the line. I think 80 started, and in the first two hours I got absolutely nothing. My best kicker with an Ace was 9 (twice) and I won one pot and split the other with those two hands. We started out with 10,000 and I was down to 6,500 after two hours. Never had a pocket pair, never had a kicker higher than 10 (Q-10 offsuit) in two hours. Just folded and hoped I wouldn't be blinded out before the cards turned. Well, they turned. Suddenly I was running great in the third hour and was over 120K in chips. Made two great calls that took other people out (My JJ against an all-in 10-10 and my 4-4 against an all-in Q-J). We're down to the final 20 and I pick up A-K off. Raise a 6K blind to 24K. Guy to my immediate right (big blind) goes all in for 60K. I call and he flips A-Q off... and gets a flush with his Queen of hearts. That knocks me down to about 60K. About 10 minutes later I pick up K-K. Guy two spots to my right goes all-in for 38K. I call. He flips A-9, off and two other guys say they both folded A-6. So what happens? Flop: 2-3-4. Turn, 5. That knocked me down to 21K and my all-in with K-Q was beaten by a woman with A-J. I walked out of there swearing, I tell you. All that patience and great play, and two huge suckouts. It's poker. Sometimes it sucks.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Bingo, tony.

Only way to look at it. It's tournament poker. Best hand -- and for sure the best player -- doesn't always win.

7. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

Are you out there playing?

8. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

As far as the Main Event goes, I neglected to mention before that, like most of you, I'm pulling for Jamie Gold.

BLUEBLUEBLUEBLUEBLUEBLUEBLUEBLUEBLUEBLUEBLUEBLUEBLUEBLUEBLUEBLUEBLUEBLUEBLUEBLUEBLUEBLUEBLUEBLUEBLUEBLUEBLUEBLUEBLUEBLUEBLUEBLUEBLUEBLUEBLUEBLUEBLUEBLUEBLUEBLUEBLUEBLUEfont

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Satch: No, but I'm friendly with enough people who are.

10. Chef

Chef Active Member

Going to KC last week of June to play in a M E satellite up there.

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

The final table for the first event is set for later today....

Seat 1: John Younger
    Seat 2: Jon Turner
    Seat 3: Fred Berger
    Seat 4: Rodger McDow
    Seat 5: Greg Muller
    Seat 6: Kirk Morrison
    Seat 7: Steve Billirakis
    Seat 8: Steve Paul Ambrose
    Seat 9: Tony George

Not exactly a who's who of television stars, that's for sure.

The second event (technically the third if you count the employee's event) is underway as well and its final table could be very interesting as Day 1 ended with 270 players remaining. Alex Jacob is in the chip lead and guys like David Pham, Erik Lindgrem, Moneymaker and Raymer are all hanging around in good chip positions as well.

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Greg "Full Bone Tilt" Mueller is a Full Tilt pro, and a former pro hockey player, and there are others on there like Steve Bilirakis and Kirk Morrison that are known pros.

They knocked down from just under 3000 to 270 on the first day of the NL event, everyone left is in the money.

Draft saved Draft deleted