1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running women's college basketball thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Blitz, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

No surprise, deskslave. Tennessee is a known entity. LSU and Georgia have been the most consistent programs aside from the Lady Vols in the SEC. Others have come and gone, but that trio has been carrying the SEC flag.

2. John

John Well-Known Member

Andy is one of my favorite people that I've ever covered. I'm happy for him that things have gotten turned around after a rough couple of years.

When I covered Georgia, about 8,000 people would show up for Tennessee, 5,000 for Florida or other big games, and maybe 2,500 for the rest of the SEC.

3. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

And it wasn't really that close. Stanford led by 2 at the half, then UConn went on a ridiculous run and led by 25 or so in the second half. Stanford scored a bunch of garbage time points to produce the final margin.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Vanderbilt would take exception to this statement.

5. Sam Mills 51

I suspect many of the program I didn't list would, Zag.

But has Vandy accomplished what Georgia has? I don't think so. And Vandy has nothing on either Tennessee or LSU.

6. Sam Mills 51

Today is the first anniversary of the death of Kay Yow. A sad, sad day for women's basketball and humanity as a whole.

7. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Baylor's Griner had another triple-double. She had two blocks before Colorado scored, and at one point, had scored 24 points. Colorado had scored 23.

8. zagoshe

Vanderbilt has been to four Sweet 16 appearances and three SEC tournament titles in the last six years, including one of those over Georgia.

I'm real glad Andy Landers has 9,000 wins but this ain't the 1980's and Vanderbilt has clearly passed Georgia within the past decade terms of becoming a legitimate SEC powerhouse.

The other eight teams you didn't name in the league can't make that claim, Vanderbilt can.

9. Sam Mills 51

Dear NCSU,

Nice unveiling of new Kay Yow banners above the floor carrying her name in Reynolds Coliseum. Looks like another trip is in order.

Thank you,
    SM51

10. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

There's a "Pink-Out" going on in Norman, where the OU women are hanging around with UConn.
    Sooners are No. 12 and UConn's top-ranked.
    26-17 early on, then it got even closer (ESPN 2)
    Huskies are owners of a 64-game winning streak.
    That's amazing, folks.

11. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Huskies up 70-54 with a minute left.
    65 in a row

12. zagoshe

In case you missed it -- Baylor's Brittney Griner channelled Kermit Washington last night against Texas Tech.

If this chick plays again before next season, then the final nail has been put in the "the sleeze factor in the womens game is now as bad as it is in the mens game" coffin.....

Draft saved Draft deleted