1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running women's college basketball thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Blitz, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Looked thru pages and pages of topics and didn't see anything that resembles this.

I will start it with the rout by No. 1 UConn of No. 7 North Carolina, which is headed by a legend in Sylvia Hatchell.
    Seems there is UConn, Tennessee, Stanford ... and everybody else this season (again).

No. 2 Stanford did lose by just 80-68 earlier this year to UConn but I can't see anybody stopping (once again) UConn
    Tennessee is 15-1, with a 15-point loss at Stanford earlier this season.

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Wake me when Pat plays Geno.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone has a prayer of beating UConn this year.

And what is scary is three if the top five players including Maya Moore are coming back next year.

4. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

UConn could have a bump in the road since it has to play Notre Dame twice.

Emphasis on the word "could."

Outside of that, I don't see how the Huskies can lose another game.

5. CHETtheJET

CHETtheJET Member

prahalis tOSU best point guard male or female

6. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Brittney Griner is the truth.

That's all anyone needs to know about 2009-10 women's college basketball.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

UConn should play in the men's tournament, that's the only way they're going to be challenged in March.

8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Unless ACLs start popping in Storrs, UConn will waltz to a title. So far this year they have beaten the following, when they were ranked:

No. 14 Texas by 25
    No. 2 Stanford by 22
    No. 11 Fla. State by 19
    No. 7 UNC by 41

Their lowest offensive output is 78 points. They have held 12 of 15 opponents to 51 or less.

Yes they have seven games against ranked teams left, including the double-dip against ND. But I can't see anyone stopping them,

9. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

No. 11 LSU at home, leading Auburn 43-42 in second half.
    Yes, I'm watching the football and will tap into Kansas/Tennessee men in a minute, but the women's game is intriguing to me, too.
    When you get past the few at the top, all the other games are usually competitive as hell.
    I hope my 3-year-old garners a hoops skolly some day.
    I'd love to travel and watch the games.

EDIT: Auburn trailed 59-56 with :14 left and worked it around before a wing player drained a 25-foot 3-pointer.
    Overtime.
    EDIT: Auburn took 2-pt lead with :11 and (this will please some of you) an LSU player missed a clear lay-up at the buzzer. AU springs the upset at Baton Rouge.

10. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

Just as a note ... Georgia is off to its best start in school history at 16-0, with a road trip to Vandy and Arkansas before hosting Tennessee. The Bulldogs have beaten UT 7 times in 39 meetings since 1986, so it would be a pretty big deal if they could actually pull that off in a top-10 matchup.

11. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Shikes!
    UConn slams Duke women by huge margin.
    http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/womens-basketball/recap?gid=201001180173&prov=ap

Nobody's stopping UConn this year, I'm afraid.
    (Although I said I'd be shocked if the Jets won last weekend)

12. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Against Nebraska yesterday, she blocked a 3-point attempt about five rows into the stands. She set Baylor's single-season block record in about 14 games. She's a stud.

Draft saved Draft deleted