1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Wimbledon thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Jun 21, 2011.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Had the exact same reaction. It amazes me how many competitive tennis players appear to be in really iffy physical condition.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Oops. Wasn't thinking straight. Too giddy about Djokovic's win.

Maybe next year.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Lindsay Davenport lost 30 pounds. Kvitova's only 21.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I'm not saying her career's over. I'm saying a pro athlete probably shouldn't have muffin tops.

Tennis has a long history of players -- both men and women -- who decide maybe they should try to get into decent shape and then suddenly they dominate the sport. Then they lose interest and fade again.

6. Herbert Anchovy

She's not /that/ fat.

I wonder what kind of environment she came out of, with the rolls and the bad teeth. Now she has the means to work on both.

7. BTExpress

Myskina? Seriously? Strangely exotic look, but about a light year from "hottest tennis babes."

And she retired in 2007.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Breakfast at Wimbledon on life support.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Special-Content/Wimbledon-To-ESPN.aspx

ESPN on the verge of gaining complete coverage rights to Wimbledon.

Thank goodness.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Maybe the days of any sporting event being on OTA TV are numbered. Would be ashame.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Djokovic ate Wimbledon grass after the match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=v3-9Z2483mA

11. BTExpress

In 2011, NBC still showed semifinal matches on tape delay, and they came back from commercial breaks many times in the middle of a game.

They don't deserve the tournament.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

The Murray-Nadal semifinal match was live in the Eastern time zone. NBC got lucky that the Djokovic match went a fourth set. In recent years, they have made more of an effort to go live when feasible. But I don't understand their rolling coverage window during the week.

Frankly, I am SHOCKED that an OTA network will devote five days (19 hours) of afternoon daytime program to tennis in a single week. It sort of made sense in the days when Wimbledon was on HBO, because that was available in a relatively small number of homes and a lot of us missed out. But just about any basic cable/satellitte service has ESPN2. I'm surprised NBC does anything other than the weekends. With American men all but out of the picture in the last 5-6 years, it's not much of a ratings jackpot.

No OTA network is going to bump its top stuff --- like morning shows like Today -- for sports. Not even during the Olympics. The other things simply have a much broader audience.

Draft saved Draft deleted