1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Wimbledon thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Jun 21, 2011.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

HBO was better than ESPN because there were no commercials and no Pam Shriver.

But it cannot on any level compete with DirecTV coverage, with a mix channel, five matches at a time and interactive buttons to check on results, draws, upcoming matches, etc.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/andymurray/8594804/Kim-Sears-Andy-Murrays-girlfriend-struggling-for-work-says-BBC-Wimbledon-commentator.html

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Clown refused to give up video games so Murray deprived us of further glimpses of the lovely Missus. Murray matches are less fun now.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. mrbio

mrbio Member

ESPN does a very good job with Patrick McEnroe, Brad Gilbert, Darren Cahill, Cliff Drysdale, Chris Evert has been excellent in her first TV tournament since NBC, Shriver and Fowler are good too. Well done by ESPN. The only minor complaint is they stay with Venus and Serena matches to the end and ignore everything else that is going on, even if they are routing their opponents. But other than that, kudos to ESPN.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Yes, kudos to ESPN.

Pam Shriver sucks out loud as commentator.

6. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

I wait and watch the matches on Tennis Channel. No annoying announcers.

In a perfect world, Martina and Chris would call the women's final together.

And if Sharapova and Azarenka make the final, no way am I watching that shriek-fest.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Which calls into question the whole point of Tennis, as it doesn't even get preference for a signature tournament.

8. Quakes

Quakes Guest

I don't know. What's the point of the Golf Channel, then? Or the NFL Network, or the Big Ten Network, or that new ESPN/University of Texas network? None of them get preference for signature events, either. (Does the Golf Channel show the early rounds of any majors? I don't think so, but I could be wrong.)

Regarding the shrieking: I don't get why that bothers anyone who's not actually in the stadium. Actually, I can see how it might bother someone watching on TV, but there's a very simple solution: lower the volume. Would people really not watch a match that they actually care about just because the players shriek or grunt? I realize I don't get to tell people what to watch, but that seems silly to me.

9. Herbert Anchovy

The network ought to assert itself in future years, forcefully, if ESPN/NBC continues to obsess with a handful of players. Also, they will talk only about said players in the studio portions.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Federer, up two sets, now tied in sets and down a break (5-3) in the fifth. Don't see that often, muchless at Wimbledon. Looks like Tsonga's serve is getting to Federer based on following online since I'm in an NBC dead zone.

Modified: I was mostly right. You NEVER see it. Well, until today. He was 178-0 in majors after winning the first two sets.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

And Fed is out. Wow.

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

well, we all understood he's been rolling downhill (by his standards) for a couple of years now. a month shy of his 30th birthday, this makes it official. i mean, if nadal takes you out from 0-2, it's one thng. to have joe nobody do it puts the double-exclamation point (!!) on the matter for anyone in denial that the king is finally dead.

so, where is the next great tennis rivalry coming from? i have no clue. looking for enlightenment on our future 'breakfast at wimbledon' july 4th weekends....

Draft saved Draft deleted