1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Wimbledon thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I know a lot of people in the sport felt Baghdatis simply wasn't dedicated enough to reach his full potential. He liked to have fun, and wasn't often in good enough condition to consistently win. No one disputed his ability, though.

And, no way should Serena be losing to Bartoli.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

And we're back to the stupid-ass tape delayed coverage on NBC (except the East Coast, of course). Either broadcast it live or get out of the way and let those who want to show it live do so.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I love the way Bartoli plays. As an old-timer, I love rooting for Schiavone and Bartoli. Schiavone because she evokes Goolagong, Bartoli because she evokes Seles with her two-fisted attack from both sides.

Serena may not be the most gracious, but Martina was the most ungracious loser I recall (even when she lost to Chrissie; I'm talking the immediate reaction, not years later when Martina became gracious.)

With Serena out, I'm hoping Bartoli wins. Anyone who ejects her parents from the stands is cool by me.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

All things being equal, perhaps not, although Bartoli is a former Wimbledon finalist.

But things are not equal, and you shouldn't be able to blitz your way through a tournament after having sat out the past year.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Serena could only break Bartoli once in 11 service games.

Pironkova knocks out Venus Williams for the second straight year. And Wozniacki chokes after leading by a set and a break against the dimuntive Cibulkova.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

That was a great match. But I wonder if ESPN (who now has the cable broadcast rights) is allowed to use USA Network archives as filler.

7. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Oh, ESPN will just pop in ESPNews, I'm sure. But CBS will probably still run out vintage '91 Connors-Krickstein.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

All ESPN has to roll out is Federer-Nadal or Federer-Roddick. Those were great. Actually, wish they'd show some Becker-Edberg for real grass court tennis.

I did catch some Roddick-Lopez ("Deliciano" per Murray's mom) and I give credit, those guys were coming in. However, Roddick's backhand is so weak I'd come in on it too, and though Roddick chipped and charged, his slice backhand just sits up and says hit me.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

The coverage of this great tournament has been f-ing abysmal.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I guess it depends on the prism you are viewing it through.

Don't have cable? Pretty abysmal.

Have cable? Usual fare.

Have Dish Network? Usual fare.

Have DirecTV? What's the problem? Six matches on at a time, hard to miss anything you really want to see.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I would like one great event not befouled by ESPN.

HBO's coverage of this tournament was the best, bar none.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The DirecTV coverage is fantastic. And you can avoid the ESPN talking heads.

Draft saved Draft deleted