1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Wimbledon thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Jun 21, 2011.

1. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

What happened to Baghdatis? I thought his career had a lot of promise a few years ago. Injuries? Off-court stuff?

I'm psyched to see Del Porto - Nadal on Monday. He was another guy that I thought could breakthrough the glass ceiling after winning the U.S. open.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Baghdatis was a flash in the pan, getting to the Australian Open final in 2006 and the Wimbledon semis later that year. I don't think he's been past a fourth round in any slam since then.

Del Potro is legit. He missed most of an entire year with a wrist injury, thus the ranking drop, and is just now rounding into form. Barring further injury, he'll be back in the top 10 by the end of the year. He blitzed Nadal in the semis at the 2009 US Open, but Nadal was hurt at the time.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Saturday: Serena

I miss the old days when writers had editors.

4. John

John Well-Known Member

I simply can't watch women's tennis anymore. The shrieking and screaming with every shot, even on the first point of the match -- but not during warmups -- has finally become unbearable.

I'd love to see Federer win one more Wimbledon title, or any slam, but it's hard to see Nadal losing in the final.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

"If I could, I would take this fucking post and shove it down your fucking throat."

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I actually like the promos the WWL has run for Wimbledon with Kings and Queens playing in the background.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Middle Sunday to let the grass rest. Time to talk of traditions and the great second Monday.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-0627-wimbledon-20110627,0,181477.story

8. Quakes

Quakes Guest

I'm looking forward to the Nadal-Del Potro match. I've just got a gut feeling that Del Potro's going to pull off the upset and let everyone know that he's ready to be one of the very best players in the world again. (Now watch Nadal beat him 6-2, 6-2, 6-2.)

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Well, I guess now it doesn't matter which court Serena plays on ...

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I'm sure she was gracious in defeat

11. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

His place in tennis history is secure. If USA has a rain delay during the U.S. Open, I'm sure you'll see his second-rounder from '06, A.K.A. Agassi's Last Stand.
    Baghdatis was the 8 seed that year. You wonder how much he left on the floor of Arthur Ashe that night.

12. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I'm sure you'll get a break today.

Draft saved Draft deleted