1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Wimbledon thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Jun 21, 2011.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

(Searched but couldn't find a "Wimbleton" thread...)

Serena actually made me feel some compassion for her today. Maybe it's because I'm having a shitty year like she said she is, but for whatever reason she seemed human in her post-match reactions. Good for her.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

The V. Williams/Date-Krumm match was very good.

3. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

I don't know what the big deal was with Venus' outfit that she wore in the first round. I actually liked it.
    I wished they made some non tennis clothes like that.

But the player who looked like Lady Gaga...that's another story

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Whatever happened to the unveiling of the next Kournikova Nike outfit?

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Serena doing her best to unravel the good will.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/13899869.stm

6. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

The big deal is that it's ugly and it looks like she had it made from a set of white brocade drapes. Or, alternatively, the complimentary terrycloth bathrobe from her hotel.

7. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Roddick loses in straight sets.

Now he has to go home and spend his time with that woman he's married to.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Serena is seeded 7th despite her ranking of 25. Venus is seeded 23rd despite her ranking of 30.

Yes, injuries and illness are the reason their ranking is that low, but the point remains: Every other Grand Slam would have seeded Serena 25th and Venus 30th. And Serena accuses Wimbledon of having a bias against her?

Regardless of how many titles you have won previously, if you let a 7 seed and a 23 seed continuously play on Centre Court, then some higher seed will get bumped --- and that's not fair, either. Sometimes you have to pay a small penalty for, you know, not playing for 11 months.

So far we've had a fountain of tears this week from Serena and now this.

But remember what she said in May 2009 at the French Open:

"I'm like one of those girls on a reality show that has all the drama, and everyone in the house hates them because no matter what they do, like, drama follows them. I don't want to be that girl."

Sure you don't, Serena. ::)

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I'm sure she'll find those same dimensions on her court back home in Hickory ...

10. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Seed and injury regardless the defending champion rarely....rarely plays on anything other than the show courts. She is the defending champion two times over and the sides biggest draw. The gripe is silly on one hand but legitimate on the other.

Of course I am going to question British tabloid media a little after Evert came to her defense this morning.

She's going to say some shit and then win some tennis matches, I don't think she's concerned with the sympathy, she's always going to be a target based on her history and the fact that there's no one else on the women's tour to give a shit about.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Somebody at Tribune Tower tell Diane Pucin that there's a fucking men's tournament going on.

Through the first five days of the tournament her leads have been:

Monday: Venus
    Tuesday: Serena
    Wednesday: Venus
    Thursday: Serena
    Friday: Venus

12. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Soderling goes down to 18-year old Aussie Bernard Tomic. Baghdatis also playing Djokovic really tight right now.

Draft saved Draft deleted