1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Wimbledon thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sportschick, Jun 22, 2008.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

I admire you belief -- no matter how misguided -- in young Mr. Murray... a decent player whom you Brits are just begging to become better than he is.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I think there's a lot of Andy Roddick in Murray. If he can keep his serve in order, he has everything else he needs. When the serve breaks down, so does he.

And I think he's better than decent right now. No.12 seed, No.11 ranking, that's nothing to be sniffed at.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I hope there's more Roddick than Henman in Murray.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I think there is. Murray has a temper, Henman was Gentleman Tim. Plus, Murray is much more of a baseliner than Henman ever was with his serve-and-volley, chip-and-charge game.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Somewhat different games, but pretty much the same results.
    Murray might be the next Henman...but he's not yet as good as Henman was.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

James Blake could be in some real trouble against Cristophe Rochus of Belgium on the graveyard. Already down a set, and under constant pressure on his serve.

7. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I think Murray will make it the quarterfinals and lose to Nadal. That certainly wouldn't be a bad showing.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Blake appears to have turned things around somewhat, won the second set and on serve early in the third.

9. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

SPOILERS!!!!!!!

Djokovic finally got taken down a peg or 500...I'm all for confidence but that guy teeters on asshole so good for Safin. Naturally he'll lose in straight sets to whomever in the next round now.

And Ivanovic is a in a dogfight...ahh yes, the grass will expose those newcomers who spend 90% of the time on hard courts and aren't used to the weird bounces.

10. John

John Well-Known Member

After seeing how poorly Safin played in the third set of his first-round match, I had a strong feeling that he would come out and play great today. I didn't suspect he'd drill Djokovic like he did, but I expected him to win.

Which means there's a good chance he goes home in the third round.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I do not like ESPN's score graphic.

They do it horizontally, so it reads:

Ivanovic Dechy 6-7, 7-6, 6-5

Instead of the normal, easy-to-follow way:

Ivanovic 7 6 6
    Dechy 6 7 5

12. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

The Ivanovic match was entertaining and DirecTV's Wimbledon channels make it better. You can see the British feeds for matches, which don't include any commercials.

Draft saved Draft deleted